Outdoor Pizza Oven

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Rolen_Zen, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Rolen_Zen

Rolen_Zen Senior Refuge Member

I want to build an outdoor pizza oven this Summer and have been researching plans online. There are a lot of different methods to choose from. I have never laid bricks, but with careful planning I should be OK.
    Have any of you 'fugers built one? Just looking for any advice, pros, cons, etc.

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Looking forward to your build, been wanting to build one for a while myself.

3. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    Make sure that it's sealed tight when not in use. Rats like these things.
    The Italians make an indoor stove that has a flat surface where you can make pizza (on the inside, above the fire pit). No unwanted visitors that way.

4. Silvia Apilinario

Silvia Apilinario New Member

I haven't any experience of building as such outdoor oven. Few months back, I also have had a plan of do something similar but after searching a lots I go for pre build portable wood fired oven already available in different marketplaces. It saves my lots of time and efforts.

5. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

California Flyway likes this.
  6. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

Just don't ask em where the ducks are!

Brottboss likes this.
  7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Actually if you want the real skinny on wood fired ovens www.fornobravo.com is the place to go.

8. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

A buddy of mine gas two of them. One (pictured below) had built into a catering trailer. The other is in his restaurant. They trailer one did double duty as a smoker. He had me doing smoke batches of freshly butchered pig parts for his restaurant with me getting a cut as pay. His were the super authentic Italian ones that cost a lot of money. That precise shape and insulation generates a lot of heat with very little wood.

[​IMG]
    I am tending the fire by putting air on through a copper tube.
    Yes pizzas and many other things get cooked on the floor of the oven.

[​IMG]
    Finished product of a batch. As you can see it was one bottle of Syrah job.

[​IMG]
    A nice batch of bacon about to be loaded. It is hard to buy bacon like this, from home raised Pigs, properly brined, and apple wood smoked.

9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Nice. I would love to have one a trailer to take tailgating and such

10. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

There are some specialized skill guys that build these. As I recall it may have cost him $6000. I have read that some can cost $30,000.
    Sounds like a great project looking forward to pics of the oven and results.:tu

Not sure how much you want to spend or how traditional Italian, but Home Depot sells a number of different outdoor pizza ovens. You might consider going to a store and looking over their models for ideas, measurements and materials choices.
    https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoor...oor-Kitchens-Outdoor-Pizza-Ovens/N-5yc1vZcd7q

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019