Paint - Varnish - Tools - Flocking etc...

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by sdkidaho, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Refuge Member

I buy my eyes from old Texas woodcarvers. There are other places as well. But they have always been decent and quick to ship.

creedsduckman likes this.
  2. slough hunter

slough hunter New Member

I normally buy 10mm clear glass cabochons off of amazon and paint them myself. Cheap and effective.

3. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Van Dyke's Taxidermy

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  4. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

For guys who are repainting, one thing you can do to drastically improve your results... after you have stripped off any loose paint and done some sanding to rough things up, apply a coat of bonding primer. I have started using Rustoleum bonding primer and it is working like a charm. So far it has stuck like iron. It's a water based product, does not have a bad odor, dries quick and your brush clean up is a breeze. If you can sand blast your decoys first, then apply that bonding primer you'd really be golden, but so far even without sand blasting it's an A+ product. Do yourself a favor and give it a try. :tu:tu

creedsduckman and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  5. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I have only used Sugar Pine to carve every bird I have made. I learned early on that sealing the bird with only Spar Varnish, I noticed (freckles) on the bird. WTH is going on. Sugar Pine has very small pitch pockets, that the paint bled through the varnish and was compounded with the oil paints I used. I finally discovered that if I used Sanding Sealer thinned with 50* Acetone it would seal the wood. After that a coat of Spar Varnish and oil paints, the problem was solved. I had the same problem with the limited amount of White Cedar I used.

6. gwdecoys

gwdecoys Elite Refuge Member

Golden Matte Acrylics for paint--I buy anywhere from gallons to pints. Stuff is mucho durable. I have used Golden GAC 700 as a cork sealer, but will be switching to GAC 100, since they dropped 700 from the lineup.
    If you are looking for instant patina, I suggest a mix of water and raw umber, or water and burnt umber-Seems to pull the whole decoy into a nice toned-down surface.
    Need paint schematics?
    Contact me at
    gwdecoys@Verizon.net