Painting working decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by FowlLanguage, Sep 14, 2017.

1. FowlLanguage

FowlLanguage New Member

IMG_3772.JPG What are thoughts on having to do detail work on the blue bill decoys? Should I add feathering on the backs of the drakes? Any info would be great.

2. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I think the black-white effect should suffice, bluebills are not too savvy!

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. Moosechop

Moosechop Refuge Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Do you need it? I don't know ,but why not put a little detail,,,can't hurt

Ringbill and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Black and white with a gray bill and solid brown hens is all you need for bluebills. They can't see the detail any farther than you can when they're apraoching at mach 5. If you are hunting puddlers over the same spread it may matter, may.

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Wouldn't be dos gris without gray backs.

jhallmark5841 and bullpinnie like this.
  6. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

You don't "need" the fine details, but paint them into what you want, not what someone else wants.

Ringbill likes this.
  7. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

This ^. Detail in a working decoy is for the hunter not the duck. I've got a rig of cork puddle ducks I made 8-9 years ago that are big and blocky with simple paint jobs. I'd hate to see the pile of ducks that have been killed over them. The last day I hunted last year, the last week of the season, we killed a limit over them all feet down decoying shots. If I made another rig would I paint them with more detail? Sure, because I can paint alot better now. Am I concerned about them not drawing ducks now? Nope

markd and dog duck gun like this.
  8. FowlLanguage

FowlLanguage New Member

I appreciate all the comments. I was not sure about it it's only my third year hunting divers and only my first time painting them. So in saying that any info I can get will be of great help.

Thanks

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

If you want to, it is quick and easy. In the pic below, to get that effect, just dip the edge of a foam brush and lightly drag it WITH the grain across the back. 2 or 3 swipes, and you are done. You could do that to a doz dekes in 5 minutes.
    If you were thinking about painting actual feather outlines, individually, I would say 'No'. Not worth it. (Unless, like Gene said, that is what you want. Kinda like my flocked decoys. May not be a difference maker, but they are what I 'want' to use.)

[​IMG]

Ringbill and Billy Bob like this.
  10. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

caleb and I have been known to put a little detail into our decoys, but I don't do much more than flock block colors into my own personal decoys. I feel like black is the most important in the color scheme of things. I have a pair of wigeons, one is painted to the last detail, the other is just flocked black, white and that weird beige/purple color, at 10 yards you can't tell which is which. My mallard hens are flocked as black ducks, they are just more effective in my stretch of the river than a typical painted mallard hen.

Billy Bob likes this.