PASSING THE TORCH

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Irishwhistler, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Irishwhistler

Irishwhistler Senior Refuge Member

"AUTUMN DEW"

[​IMG]
    Dew kissed American Bittersweet, the crops of grouse taken were often burgeoning with it as I hunted old orchards choked by the vines providing cover and food for The King.

Irishwhistler

stevena198301 likes this.
  2. Irishwhistler

LwCd9vqbQ0+YzYlxGz28zg_thumb_48b6_Fotor-1.jpg
    BUCK MODEL 321 BIRD KNIFE

Aye Mates,
    This classic is me Buck Model 321 Bird Knife which I have now been carrying for nearly four of my five decades as an upland bird hunter. The knife has stood the test of time and is quite like an old friend. I have dressed countless game birds with this great special purpose knife.

Cheers,
    Mike

beandog and WaterFoulHunter like this.
  3. Irishwhistler

It's no big secret that cultural shift in the United States is resulting in fewer participants in the field sports and may very well be an indicator that the end of hunting is on the horizon. it is almost assured that if we as hunters do not make a more concerted effort collectively to bring new blood into the sport by sharing our time and our knowledge with would be participants. All said, I had the opportunity to share my experience and time hunting with two college age young men today. Twin brothers Evan and Fred were home for the Thanksgiving holiday and we spent the morning hunting pheasants over my dogs TRAD and MAC. The boys are the sons of my friend Dave and the family owns a beautiful black female Labrador Retriever named SADIE that was sired by my gun dog TRAD and is a littermate to my gun dog pup in training, MAC.

scu5AXrEQDWD9tS2OPwRZg_thumb_4c20_Fotor.jpg

Twin brothers Evan and Fred hunting a huge field of switchgrass as my pup MAC quarters through the cover out ahead of them. I opted not to carry a gun so that I could work dogs for the boys to afford them the optimal potential for getting them on birds. Additionally, I wanted to get some photographs to document the boy's bird hunt. Nice young men, they are both Eagle Scouts and are attending great schools, one studying gaming design, the other music production. Today afforded the boys a brief hiatus from academia and an opportunity to hunt, they both head back to school tomorrow.

CiM12sBAR+akMEbmEFqWfA_thumb_4c25_Fotor.jpg

MAC , my gun dog pup trainee just turned 9 months old two days ago. The littermate to SADIE, a pup owned by Evan and Fred's family, MAC did some impressive work in the finding and flushing of pheasants to the guns of the lads.

m8ysU54qSK6jj+VxSoZ5cA_thumb_4c33_Fotor.jpg

MAC with one of the rooster pheasants that was taken during our bird hunt this morning. Nine month old MAC is handling very nicely in the field whilst hunting upland birds. MAC is becoming very steady to wing, shot, and fall. MAC is highly bird driven, marks well, has a great nose for tracking and locating cripples, and is maligning classic delivery to hand upon completion of the retrieve.

R+eHD1fVT7m8xKpq9wOMDQ_thumb_4c22_Fotor.jpg

Evan and Fred take a photo-opportunity with TRAD after one o' the lads dropped a rooster. Don't ask me which is which, the two have me confused most of the time in that regard. Seems to me that not only do they look a lot alike, they both seem to share a love for the outdoors and chasing birds o'er fine gun dogs with shotguns, an experience that we need to share with more fine young folks like "the twins". Articulate, intelligent, and well mannered young men, it was my pleasure to spend my time facilitating this experience for them and I only hope that they pass that torch onward to others. I have every reason to believe that these lads will be ambassadors for the field sports and agents of continuity for the hunting culture that I love so dearly.

ENNQNFxsS2iLwgokwcVK7g_thumb_4c41_Fotor-1.jpg

A fine day afield shared amongst friends, the day not measured by the number of birds shot, but rather by the total experience of the upland hunting tradition, one that we all need to do a better job of sharing with those that we might recruit and retain as participants. The future of hunting depends on us all in passing the torch.

Irishwhistler

WaterFoulHunter and metalworx like this.