Patterning work question

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by blackdog58, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Dave, here is the #2 steel IM pattern.

This is the average pattern from the 5-shot string showing the 20ga 3" 1 oz #2 steel Rem Nitro Steel load in the IM choke at 40 yards.
    Shotgun pattern, 20ga 3-inch Rem Nitro #2 steel IM 40yd.jpg

2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Thanx Gents, moving a translucent one pound coffee can lid over the pattern will render an idea of any gaps where <2-3 pellets are within the lid area hence, possible gaps in coverage. Even thought that is a one dimensional aspect, the shortened shot string of many steel patterns makes it much more relevant than say had it been a lead pellet load.

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I agree JP but MOST hunters won't take the time and effort to try and solve a pattern with holes ? With only (3) ways to adjust the way a pattern
    develops ( to little or to much in the components of the shell , to tight or to loose of constriction in the choke and , most of ALL , distance to the target ) !
    With all the Stars aligned as a gaussion pattern with Holes , usually means , you might have to shoot again ? right ? :yes:l

4. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

If you want to compare your findings against a “normal” probability of pellet distribution, check out Oberfell &Thompson's publication "The Mysteries of Shotgun Patterns" and the graph (figure 3) on page 64 and table 9 on page 84 showing the probability of 5" diameter pellet-free patches for 30" patterns with various pellet strikes.

“Oberfell (1950) showed that for all practical purposes, patchiness was dependent upon the number of pellets in the pattern".

Here are a couple of O&T's numbers from the table:
    30" pattern pellet strikes / predicted 5" pellet free patches
    100 / 9.8
    150 / 5.2

5. Ravenanme

Good research Joe Hunter , I was also fascinated with Oberfell & Thompsons pattern testing with a Mod 12 with a Cutts ?
    It's amazing that in years passed a lot of what's known today , hasn't much improved with Lead Shot but , Steel Shot is a different Character ?
    Good thing you're willing to share your results , it give others something to ........match ? :yes:l

Thanks Again

6. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Joe Hunter, that is just outstanding info you provided me and thanks SO MUCH! Really great looking patterns. I very much doubt I'd have tried the IM or F chokes for that #3 shot, but the % and pattern distrubutions look really great--now I will! Also what a nice #2 shot pattern! I believe I am going to purchase one of those IM Briley tubes for my 20ga 725, and also my SX3, which should both be similar as they are Browning invector plus. Heck, I'm going to send my 20ga duck buddies over here to look at your results, I know they will love them!

7. Ravenanme

That is a nice pattern at 40 yds for a 20 ga !
    I still like the 7/8 oz of 3's out of a 3" shell , not only for the additional velocity but the few extra pellets (139) over the (125) with 1 oz of 2's .
    A (IM) choke in a O/U to backup a (IC) or (MOD) before a bird gets to 35 yds is a good tool to have but when I forget to switch the barrel of
    the more open choke , first to shoot , and I center a birds inside that 35 yds , it really messes them up with to many holes !