Oklahoma Flyway Forum Sponsors

Pick up your empties

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Flyway Forum' started by JP, Jan 9, 2019.

1. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

At least in McIntosh county as the (new) CO's there have written tickets (@$180) for littering when the hunter could not produce enough empty hulls to correspond with the number of birds in the boat. This occurred at the Grave Creek ramp (Hitchita) on Eufaula this season. FWIW.

Ramblingman likes this.
  2. how45hard

how45hard Senior Refuge Member

3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Does give pause as to where the legal paradigm boundaries are tho’ as it could be taken to the level of having to retrieve the pellets that missed the bird as well. Is dropping a deuce behind the blind a violation? What about the fishing lure that gets broken off on a stump?

4. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

I'd tell him I water swatted and killed multiple per shot !! Make him prove me wrong.

P

JP likes this.
  5. Okie Fowler

Okie Fowler Senior Refuge Member

I feel the same way. A person should make some effort to pick up their empty hulls. After all, they were a lot heavier when they were brought into the field. Shouldn't be a struggle to take the empties out. In the same way that soda cans/bottles, food wrappers, etc, etc, should be picked up too. It really disgusts me to see how people leave the public areas that I hunt. I take a trash bag with me when I hunt so I can pick the mess left behind by others.

Now if the effort to retrieve their trash/belongings is unreasonable (like when a shotshell hull sinks to the bottom in 3-foot of water), then I can understand that. But they should make some sort of effort. Okay, I'm done ranting. It was a looooong, not so productive duck season. Guess that's why I picked up more trash than hulls.:cry

6. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

Why don't you just pick up your empties instead of lie? Pathetic

7. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

Apparently you've never boat hunted in current. If you had,you wouldn't make dumbass comments like that .
    You gonna cut the boat blind loose and chase empty hulls every time you miss a shot ?
    What if you drop some birds...you gonna chase cripples/ducks or worry about your empty hulls goin down river ?

P

callinfowl likes this.
  8. frozen okie

frozen okie Senior Refuge Member

I wish they would get on the people that fish , some people are flat out slobs , it’s really bad around Wister and Kerr damns , why people feel the need to leave trash and dead fish on the bank is beyond me

I started picking up hauls this year , cause I can’t stand the trash while fishing and after walking into a couple places to hunt and seeing beer cans and empty shell boxes I figured the guy that comes behind me might think the same as I do about me leaving hauls laying around , granted I don’t get them all but I pack out what I can

I have to say for my second season in SE OK , people told me last year was a slow year , and after this years opener I figured they where right but man I don’t know if it could of gotten much worse lol

9. Okie Fowler

Okie Fowler Senior Refuge Member

There was one place I duck hunted this year where there was evidence of hunters spending the night (I guess to ensure they got the spot they wanted to hunt). I found a damaged blowup mattress, broken camp chair, aluminum cans, bottles, etc. Was a total mess. Seen other spots almost as bad. Empty shotshell hulls are one thing, but this was totally ridiculous.

Now about the ducks: For me, this waterfowl season was only salvaged due to the last week-and-a-half of the season...smashed the mallards. The 2018-2019 season was the second worst for me since hunting in Oklahoma (lived here now for 14 years). The 2017-2018 season was great, second best since I've lived here. Hope we see more flights of birds next season, and less trash:amen

10. frozen okie

frozen okie Senior Refuge Member

This is only my second year here , got a boat and had high hopes for the river and lake and tore it up 10 days before season and got it fixed about a week after season LOL , hopefully next year the dog will be ready and the boat wont be broke. The high water really hurt me but it did make some good timber hunts if you could find them. I hear over in your neck of the woods it was pretty good.
    One thing for sure is it's a hell of a learning curve down here. I wouldn't mind meeting ya and picking your brain about how to get after them.
    At the start of season it was good but I was chasing geese for a farmer that wanted them gone from his hay field.