Plans for the off season..

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Click, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Click

Click New Member

Anyone got anything they are working towards for next year? Decoy purchases, blind upgrades? Maybe habitat improvement? Perhaps titling out the old meat dog?

Here's my list of stuff I want to have done by next fall, not in any real order.

1. Get 4 new A frame blinds built, brushed, an pre staged at couple locations.
    2. See how much of the ground I was able to hunt a decade ago I can still get the ok on.
    3. Slowly build up a really large goose spread, got plenty of floaters but need some depth for my field spread.
    4. Need to Texas rig some more duck floaters.
    5. Get moved into the new home, with two kids,two dog, and a wife an somehow stay married.
    6. Get my old dog up an running good by the fall, an clean up his handling just a little. He may run a senior test or two this year depending upon what I have for time an money.
    7. Get my female (just turned 1last month) her senior title this summer. She's been training hard an running very well this fall. Found out twins were inbound shortly after we got her an made the call to send down south for the winter. Very very glad I did. Plan on working her into the fulltime rotation next year.

That should keep me gainfully employed an broke till duck season, what's everyone else up to?

Neck Collar likes this.
  2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Dirt bike riding, drag racing, church work, trap, 5-stand, Sporting Clays, shooting feed lot pigeons, mowing the yard bi-weekly.
    Then, if I can find time, eat a few meals and maybe sleep.

JP and Neck Collar like this.
  3. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

Go to the Ballet
    Finish up tattooing my entire back and start on my right leg.
    Get to level 5 in my spin class.
    zumba lessons
    Start a campaign to get Lauber removed from the commission
    Prepare Hillary for her run in 2020
    Become Assistant Manager at the Bottoms
    Get my nose pierced
    Be kinder and Gentler to all the Nancy's on this forum.

4. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Deciding if I should sell my layout boat and go to a 1436 jon boat or not. Can't fit both in my suburbia garage. Layouts flat out kill ducks but taking two or three separate trucks everywhere is getting old and I'm fishing a lot more lately.

5. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

Long list.

Trying to pull boards and drain marsh - Beavers plugging culverts with each effort. Conebear’s set & fenced to deter. Bought some RR seed corn - crap is stupid expensive ($200/bag). Trying corn again, 1st time since 2012 – horrible luck between floods & droughts. Will be planting walnut saplings and cedar saplings from KS forest service. Walnuts will replace those that died, last year. Cedars to continue long tree row started on property, last year. Got some marsh locations overgrown with cattail – hoping to dry out, then mow & spray. Vow to take some time and cast a line, this summer - have one pond that finally has some decent size fish.

You public gunners work your *** off during the duck season while us whacky duck farmers kill ourselves in the off season.

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

...oh, and putting in about 35 hours a week at my summer job....where my primary goal would be doing my utmost to make any Assistant Manager successful. :h

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  7. Marshwalker

Marshwalker Senior Refuge Member

KSU, sometimes you can talk to the guys at COOP and they have test plant corn. a lot of times they will give it to you for free.. way cheaper than buying. You are only planting it for ducks. I get a lot of it from COOP and it works great every year