Plastics: an answer

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Luigi Daniele, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
  2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Pretty cool, I'm just wondering what else it eats that they haven't released to the public yet.:eek::l:l:l:tu

JP, Bear, J.SCOTT and 2 others like this.
  3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

What happens when the mutant enzymes reproduce at a rate that we can't provide plastic bottles? Do they start going door to door and eat all things plastic? will the plastic gunstock on my shotgun be safe? What about my plastic decoys in the shed? What about my camo plastic hunting kayak? Will I be hunting and all fo a sudden mutant enzymes chew out the bottom? I'm scared.

4. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

An enzyme on one type of plastic in a lab is one thing, scaling it to take on the plastic problem in the world is another.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Wonder if we'll figure out 20-30 years down the road, after this is used in mass quantities, that it puts off some harmful exhaust. I would assume if it's breaking down plastic, and it's a "living" enzyme, it makes some sort of waste(?) from the material it's breaking down. I think it's a great idea, so long as we know it has no negative effects (or less negative effects than the plastic it's getting rid of).

Doc E and callinfowl like this.
  6. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Enzymes are just molecules. They are not alive, and can't reproduce. The breakdown products of chemical reactions are quite easy to determine....they would certainly understand the chemical reaction at this point.

Whether this discovery ultimately leads to a solution or not, I think efforts like this represent how we're ultimately going to solve many environmental issues we're currently creating...like plastics and and global warming (which is real, and is a problem...and which I won't be debating here). While the "simple" and "obvious" solutions are to stop using plastic or reduce fossil fuels, those just aren't realistic solutions. The answer instead is going to lie in technological solutions like this....i.e. engineering our way out of it.

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Thanks for that.

8. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

It's already been on the TV drama shows. The McGyver how do we stop this type shows.

Enzymes are like catalysts in the sense they support or break down a process. However, as @stevena198301 pointed out...what will the end product be after being exposed to sunlight...time and temperature...other pollutants...gets into the delicate phytoplankton system or works it way up the food chain to the food we eat?

Then again...if it pollutes it dilutes it. How many gallons of seawater are in a square mile of water?

They were talking the other day on the news feed about how the ground up microplastics have entered the food chain.

9. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Decoys and Benelli stocks disintegrating.
    Duck hunters ponder.

10. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

upload_2018-4-17_10-31-3.jpeg

callinfowl and The_Duck_Master like this.