Potatoe Salad

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by KwickLabs, Jun 10, 2019.

1. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Well the "ant" is crawling up into the "good stuff". Gigi is not seven weeks old yet. However, she is already
    longer and taller than Pounce (lanky).

The last two days she ran the same sets of four singles that Pounce did. Pounce is just getting back up to
    speed after her surgery....so they were not very long.

The first day she was "right on" with all four. The next day she stepped on all but one...a single past a
    shorter fall which proved to be too "tricky" with her experience. The best thing was how steady she
    was (not moving and focused through a full count to ten).

Returning right back to heel at the line is still a work in progress. Therefore, no more marks until all
    he mechanics of a return are in place ("close, but no cigar....yet").

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pounce did some water work doing several "stand alone/send back" singles...mostly for
    the exercise. This is a small, "horse shoe" shaped pond in a county dog training area
    (Four Lakes DTA). Primer loads are allowed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gigi's 5th AKC Puppy OB Class is this evening (excellent distraction proofing).

Hoytman likes this.
  2. Don Smith

Don Smith Elite Refuge Member

7 weeks or 7 months?
    My Tipsy (Meglyn's Hold My Beer CGC) got her AKC STAR Puppy "title" a couple months ago. She got her AKC Canine Good Citizen title 2 weeks ago. You are absolutely correct about the distraction proofing. Tipsy got so wound up, she threw up at her first STAR puppy class before the class even started. Tipsy's first hunt tests are this coming weekend; just over 7 months. I might be pushing it, but she's doing 150 yard land marks and 70+ yard water marks. Regardless of how long I've been working with these wonderful creatures, it amazes me how quickly they can develop. Being a winter puppy with no opportunity for water work, Tipsy was afraid of the water a month ago. Then, 4 Sundays ago, I got her splashing and playing in 10" of water in one section of our pond. Four days later, she was doing very nice 60+ yard water marks to an opposite shore where she saw a splash, but the Dokken was right up against the shore, so a little tougher to keep her eye on; she just had to remember where she'd seen the splash. (I always train marks with ducks on land, but often train with Dokkens on water because I hate blow drying ducks to put them back in the freezer).

BTW, Jim - Nice water.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Hoytman likes this.
  3. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Oops, not yet seven months. :dv

4. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

7 weeks ---- 7 months
    Potatoe ---- Potato

Doesn't matter, it's all good.

Don Smith likes this.
  5. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Doc - that's the Dan Quayle approved spelling.:dv

Very nice grounds Kwick.

Doc E likes this.
  6. Don Smith

Don Smith Elite Refuge Member

Update on my post above. My Tipsy passed her first Junior test. On the second test, she did well on land. On the first mark on water, there were probably half a dozen foot long cattail roots floating around the bird. Not sure why. Each had about 5" of white root showing. Tipsy got pulled away from the bird by focusing on one and grabbed it, but continued to look for the bird (it was floating low). It looked like she bumped into the bird once, but because I guess her force fetch was good, she refused to let go of the root and didn't know what to do. She continued to swim around looking. Then she started to head back but turned away and finally beached about 30 yards away. She started running my way (with the root still in her jaws), but not like she was coming to me, which would, obviously, have been a zero in perseverance. She kept looking out at the water. I didn't say a word so as to not encourage her to come back to me. She stopped about 40 feet from me, looked out at the water for a few seconds. You could tell she was thinking. She jumped back in, swam the 35 yards or so to the bird and, without losing her grip on the root, grabbed the duck, swam back and delivered both the duck and the root to me. The judges decided to drop her so she didn't get the second mark. Questionable? Maybe. I don't know. I don't care. Years from now, I may not remember that she failed her second test. What I will remember is one of the most impressive cases of drive and perseverance that I've ever seen in a 7 month old dog. Later, thinking about what I'd witnessed, I remembered that her great-grandmother, my late Daisy, HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (who Master titled at 32 months), did something very similar when she passed her first Junior test at 6 1/2 months. That both of them, when faced with a dilemma, would take time to think and figure out how to get where they wanted to be is impressive to me. Tipsy has a long way to go, but I think I've got a good one on my hands.

Hoytman likes this.