Predator 670....on my way.

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Tailfeathers, Oct 15, 2018.

1. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Yes...you will stall out at higher rpms under load without it. You can pick them up at most auto parts stores. I mounted mine right to the side of engine. I also added a toggle switch to allow me to turn the pump on/off and an inline shut off valve. I like to cut the fuel to the engine and let it run dry-especially before it's going to sit for awhile. 20181107_104620.jpg

AJCsurf likes this.
  2. warrenwaterfowler

A better pic of it: 20180804_220512.jpg

AJCsurf likes this.
  3. AJCsurf

AJCsurf Elite Refuge Member

Solid info :tu

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the info and photos. Well, she's done except for the external fuel pump. Started her up the other day and in one or two seconds of cranking, she fired right up and sounded smooth as silk. I like the responsibility of having to work a manual choke as Master of the Engine Room and Capitain! :joker I followed the instructions/ recommendations in the book and mounted the tiller bar on the left side of the engine as you face the bow of the boat. I saw some guys had it on the other side but this way, on the left, I figured I stand more in the middle of the boat (weight distribution) and also have full swing port and starboard of the tiller by being able to move my body left or right more equal by standing in the middle of the boat. If I was on the right more, I'd be trapped more by the right side of the boat, me thinks.
    All the wiring went well. Good instructions. Ran my fuel lines up to the bow area to keep the tank up there. Battery is in the stern. I bought 4 gauge wire for the battery hook up, but they are a bit stiff. Work fine but I think I'll pick up a set of jumper cables that are more flexible and use the cables. They sit side by side and look like a cleaner more flexible set up, especially when I turn the gizmo all the way around so the long shaft is in the boat for transporting and the wires and fuel line have to follow the rotation distance.. Did some work on the trailer, got new trailer lights that actually work....imagine THAT? Moved the winch post forward. The new Mud Motor made the balance a little lighter from the outboard's hitch weight, just about 2 feet. Bolts were rusted, wound up just cutting them off and buying new. Enough knuckle busting for me. Working on a balance post set up. This chet is fun! :tu The boats starting to look Bad Asssss. Maybe I should take a BA barrel sticker and name her? :joker
    Thanks everyone for all your info, I'll keep you posted.

5. Tailfeathers

Update: Just ordered this elec fuel pump . Low pressure. Add 10 cents of Krylon camo paint... and good to go.
    Like the separate on / off switch and the fuel valve. Like to know that fuel pump is 100% off as well as fuel flow.

:joker Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 9.41.06 AM.png

6. warrenwaterfowler

Jumper cables work great. I added a heavy duty quick disconnect as well. Comes in handy when removing the engine from the boat for any reason....you could also do cables with out all the extra length needed to spin the rig around into the boat 20181119_171244.jpg 20181119_171244.jpg 20181119_171244.jpg 20181119_171244.jpg 20181119_171244.jpg

7. Tailfeathers

Like that disconnect . I would spin the motor 180 degrees around twice every time I used it and wouldnt want have to bother or mess with. The connection that many times. Plus I can see that I would forget and strain the cable or connect cause I didn’t disconnect it. Thanks for the idea. Good stuff.

8. Tailfeathers

Just ordered the tach/hour meter. Need to camo paint that silver shaft with orange logo. Sorry SR. I’d be glad to stick on some SR big logo stickers like a big gun barrel sticker for free advertising, just send me another one. My free one is on the back window of my truck. :joker:tu

9. Tailfeathers

Update. Took her hunting on Sat. Started right up. Almost gave the dock a haircut while my buddy paddled the boat only on one side and made her turn rather than back out of the ramp. :joker Realized I installed the shaft at a very slight angle so the keg was angled to one side a bit and the prop kept wanting to rise high and also I had to resist a constant push of the tiller to one side. Ran it 3/4 and less throttle. When I forced the prop down the boat would take off. This says to me, when I have it set up right with the prop height proper and no left or right pull, and when my 3 hour break in is over, this boat is going to be a race horse. I can't wait. Glad I got the 22hp motor. What fun, running from cove to cove like banshees! What a rig!:tu:tu:tu

Also after about 15 minutes of running in the dark, my throttle cable slipped. I thought I tightened her down, but was using a 45 degree philips screw driver tool cause the muffler is a inch away. I'm going to replace the screw with a bolt or grind down the two sides of the screw flat so I can get a needle nose vice grip on her and crank harder. Also put a second crimp on the cable tail. Glad we had a second boat running. Towed us to the hunting area.
    Good times ahead, boys!

10. warrenwaterfowler

I found it easier to remove the muffler to set up the throttle cable and get to the screw on the clamp easier....

Good luck getting it so you don't have to muscle up on the tiller to keep the prop in the water....I never could on my thai set up- main reason I got rid of it