Proud dad and question on youth shotguns

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by chuam, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Ducksarmy

Ducksarmy New Member

So 14 years later and not sure how many gun later don't waste your money on a single shot anything the m500 or r 870 are good but still to heavy.a light auto 20 is perfect but beware some are junk I've had one daily I think 4 kids learned to shoot with was a good gun .ive went through two tri star and had a few extra in the boat there junk .why one cracked 10 inch down the barrel and the other opens when fired separate the base from the case .so I replaced it with a franchi affinity love it I been shooting grouse with it.last point spend a little extra and that gun will last them for ever.

2. Moody

Moody Senior Refuge Member

I'm in the market as well, as I will likely get my 8 YO son a 20 auto for Christmas this year.

I'm thinking gas operated 20. Has anyone had any experience with the 1187 compact model? Barrel seems short at 21" but it's gas and its heavy, which is why I'm leaning that way.

Thanks in advance.

3. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

4. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

20 gauge but stick to 2.75" shells with light payloads. Avoid short magnum shells and 3" shells as in a light 20 gauge the can kick as bad or worse than a 12.

A semi-auto will kick less. Also a really good recoil pad. Recommend Limbsaver, or Remington has come out with a great replacement pad for their shotguns that uses Limbsaver technology.

Also, use an Improved Cylinder choke tube or even a Skeet tube. You want that advantage for the shots that are in good range.

ronaldo likes this.
  5. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

My boys when starting out with a semi-auto only got one shell. Then as time progressed, got a second shell and it was couple years before they got 3. The nice thing about buying a 20 ga semi auto is that when you kids move onto a 12 ga, the 20 ga semi is still in the gun safe and you can shoot it. That is why you buy a nice one as it will be your gun in a few years.

DuckFan, Ducksarmy and ronaldo like this.
  6. Ducksarmy

Ducksarmy New Member

I started looking a little that cz auto is nice and like 500 the 1187 great gun but heavy at 7.25 but it's like 600$ and that affinity is 5.6 but runs 800$ but st that weight you will want to keep it.cz?never seen one but the price is nice and every thing they make is good

7. Whistle

Whistle Senior Refuge Member

My first was a bolt action Stevens 20 g. with a poly-choke that had been my dad's.
    Montefeltros for a 10 year old? You want to adopt a 50 year old kid?

chuam likes this.
  8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Funny thing. My son is 17, and last weekend I handed him my Superposed for a dove hunt. I planned to tell him it was his after the shoot. About halfway through he said, "I wish I had an 870."

9. Ducksarmy

Ducksarmy New Member

Just be smart don't go spend 300 on Christmas and 300 birthday for toys and plastic junk it goes into the gun cookie jar they save all summer mowing money and next year boom sbe2 is in the bag .some might say that's wrong but my boys both have she and deer rifle and ar15 for dogs oh and nice 9mm m&p all they bought.its all about priorities.and single shots don't make you a better shot.pratice does

10. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Did the same with my son, but a combo bird/slug in the full size model and then bought a speed feed youth stock set for it. He still has it to this day. One thing we did to deal with the recoil was have him run a few boxes of slugs through it before letting him appreciate bird shot.:yes