Puddle duck spread question

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by H2OFowler87, Jan 24, 2019.

1. H2OFowler87

H2OFowler87 New Member

Lets say you find a spot in the in La/AR, you see mallards, teal, gaddies, pintails, wigeon etc. What species do you need in your spread to decoy any of those birds?( basically what will sit with what?) Ive been told Mallards and Pintails are picky and want to sit with there own kind.

2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

3. H2OFowler87

H2OFowler87 New Member

I've got plenty of those already lol

4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

this is a typical mix for my rice field sets Decoys.jpg

English_Pointer likes this.
  5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Ducks fly to ducks. Heck, duck fly to geese. They aren't racial.

WHUP ! Hen and Fowler267 like this.
  6. H2OFowler87

H2OFowler87 New Member

Hey it was a simple question what decoys do you run in your spread. Don’t really see the need in the goofy answers.

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I haven't seen a goofy answer. Lots of guys run coot decoys. That mish-mash of dekes in that pic are telling you it doesn't matter. My post is telling you it doesn't matter.

bullpinnie likes this.
  8. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I think Mallards and Sprigs are the exception. Sure, you can kill just about any duck over mallard decoys, but I'm not sure you can consistently draw big flocks of mallards to an all teal spread, or an all gadwall spread. Likewise, if you want to consistently finish pintails, you better have a few sprig in your set.

A few of my spots are located adjacent to big reservoirs that are rest areas. For the most part, I try to mimic what is sitting on them.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

We're all saying it doesn't matter. You can run diver decoys in a cornfield pond to shoot pintails and mallards. The was a thread in the main forum where a guy was using 2 liter bottles spray painted black and landing birds in them. Don't over think it, buy a bunch of used decoys and throw them out.

WHUP ! Hen and Fowler267 like this.
  10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Pintails will decoy to anything with a little white on it, drake spoonies, drake buffleheads, goldeneyes, bluebills. Mix them in with the rest of the spread and you're in business. Where most people screw up with pintails is by not knowing how they work, they can fly away and show up several mins later to circle and do a kamikaze run.

Mort and Real Green like this.