Pup is relying on his eyes

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by craig wilson, May 15, 2018.

1. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

My main suggestion would be for you to get on a quality training program.
    My choice is the "Smartwork" series of books and DVDs by Evan Graham (EvanG here on the refuge),

2. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

What specific training did you do to get him to this point? How did he acquire the skills he has?

EvanG

3. craig wilson

craig wilson Elite Refuge Member

I trained him, I read Wolters in the early 80's and used some of his guidelines. Most work was done with a check cord.
    I have decided to just take him to a Pro.I don't have a program I don't wear Muck boots when I work with my dog. I hunt ducks and I want a steady dog that handles. I understand that I asked the question and that this is the answer I got

4. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Fair enough. Helping people with dog training is what I do. But without knowing what tools your dog has to work with it's very hard to offer good advice to resolve your problem. As you have already found, Wolters' methods are wholly inadequate. I hope you find a pro who trains with a modern sequential program, and that you will give him time to do it. Good luck.

EvanG

Doc E likes this.
  5. molliesmaster

molliesmaster Senior Refuge Member

I've been reading a lot of your posts over the last few days and I've yet to see you do anything but criticize and belittle. But if you call it helping sure..

gadwall52 likes this.
  6. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

One of the interesting phenomenons I’ve noticed since I started training is that people ask for help then often become very defensive when they disagree with the answer.

I see some of the fundamentals of dog training as being very non controversial. In other words I think there are some basic concepts that most trainers would agree on. One of those concepts is that training is sequential and that to be successful in the current activity you need to have completely trained the prior activities. Based upon my limited experience I don’t see how any trainer, pro or ametuer, is going to fix a problem if the previous training was inadequate.

Am I seeing this wrong? If so, I’m open to correction.

Hogleg, ripline and Doc E like this.
  7. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

I'm a newby, training my second dog with Smartwork. I get how you feel, when I came to this forum 2 dogs ago every time I asked a question I got the question you just got so I understand your frustration. Don't take it personally, folks will try to help but they need to know where your dog is, or what it knows versus what it doesn't know.

Now I get it, training without a program leaves holes, it's hard to fix just the problem behavior. Going to a pro is a good plan. Don't take it personally, folks are trying to help. Good luck!

Doc E likes this.
  8. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Simple fix change dummies!!! Throw a natural canvas one

9. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Even if you go with a pro, you might not be able to answer the question. My current pup went to pro trainer and was FF, T work and and obendiene, bird work etc so when I got her back at 11 months, she was a started dog. I have used Smartworks in past, so I went and looked a skill development and chart, reinforced what pro did and kept going on Smartworks. Just helps identify what skills trying to work on and steps to get to a competent level.

In current situation, get a canvas dummy as suggested and heavy coat of scent and put a streamer on it. Throw into light to medium cover, have dog mark and send dog to retrieve. See if that helps and slowly back down the amount of scent. Streamer is to help you find it.

10. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

:scratch You must be reading things a lot differently than I am.
    Evan asked questions ------ How is that criticizing or belittling :scratch
    As is usually the common thing seen here is that questions need to be asked and answered before answers can be given.

Hogleg and ripline like this.