Puppy food and feed amounts

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Hoytman, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman Elite Refuge Member

Our new puppy, Molly, was fed Southern States Advanced Puppy at the breeder.
    https://www.southernstates.com/cata...d-puppy-food-40-lb?category=pet+dogs+dog-food
    Not sure if many here are familiar with that food or not. I didn't know much about it, so I began a transition to a food I know is at a minimum, a decent food, and if nothing else the company supports field events … Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy food.

Over the years, I've never been a "brand" oriented person. I've always let the dog tell me what works for them (by checking stools, taking note how the dog likes the food and if it sits well on their stomach) and if something doesn't agree with them, I've never been afraid to change brands.

I've fed Iams, Science Diet, Nutro, Diamond, Black Gold, Eukenuba, and finally settled on Pro Plan Performance chicken and rice for our last two dogs. It seemed to sit the best on their stomach's, they liked it, and as a result dealt with less stools. We stopped feeding N & D because of having too many recalls, the rest were good foods, but the dogs seemed to do better on the Pro Plan. I didn't mind since Purina is a big supporter of field events and hunting dogs.

Just so happens that our vet recommended we stay off of the "grain free" band wagon because of a study he'd become aware of, I believe through Ohio State, where dogs were having heart issues, and the one common denominator they found with these dogs were that all were fed a grain free diet their entire lives. He recommended a good quality food of any brand, not an all stages food either, but a puppy food. When I told him we'd likely switch from Southern States to Purina Pro Plan he said he really liked the company and trusted them, plus he mentioned they've been around for so long, which I already knew.

When we went to the store, we were trying to locate smaller bags of feed so that it is fresh and so we don't have a 40lb. bag open so long for a small puppy. We really didn't find any smaller bags at any feed stores like Rural King, TSC, and pet food store...most were 30 to 40lb. bags.

Surprisingly, there was more all stages feed than large breed puppy feed. Of the large breed puppy feed there was; Purina Pro Plan large breed puppy, Blue Buffalo LBP, Iams LBP, Performatrin LBP … all of which we had to go to multiple stores to find. Most stores only had one brand on the shelves, or they were out of the other brands. I know nothing of Performatrin brand feed found at a Pet Value store.

Several years ago we also supplemented our feed rations with Dinovite back when it first came out. Although I am not currently using it, I here advertisements on the radio all the time. It did seem to help the dogs skin issues and the dogs loved it.

I haven't spent much time researching any of these foods, but I'm sure there are folks here who have and their thoughts will vary.

Our vet told us to try and keep our puppy lean. He said studies have shown pups/dogs that have been lean all their life tend to live longer lives.

When we brought our pup home she weighed 11 lbs. and at her vet check-up 3 days later on March 7, 2019, she weighed 11.7 lbs. We was feeding her a 1/2 cup in the morning and the same at night … 1 cup per day. We have since increased (last 2 days) this to 3/4 cup morning and evening … 1 1/2 cup per day total. I will be monitoring her weight. We may have to adjust it down to 1 1/4 cup...we'll see.

Does this amount seem ok?
    She actually looks good I think. She's not fat for a puppy, and I can't see her ribs. To me she looks fine.

Is anyone familiar with the Southern States Advanced Puppy?

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I am trying to keep to the schedule on the bag with Talena. I am using NutriSource, per the recommendations from our feed supply store. It has all the 'stuff' in it for joints and such.

I let Tarna get too heavy. Not going to make that mistake again. Just went to the vet yesterday for puppy shots. I asked him how she 'looked'. He said perfect. Ribs were not visible, but easily felt with the hands. To me, she looks a little thin, but I am coming to understand that is because of my pre-conceived notions.

Talena is a voracious eater. First time in my 'dog owning time' I had to get a 'slow down' food bowl, with the tabs in the middle to make them work for their food. She still cleans it out in about a minute. Feeding 3 times a day. Bag calls for 2 1/2 cups a day, and I am giving her about a short cup 3 times a day. Stools are great, and regular.

On a side note, when I first got her, I gave her some 'chews', rawhide and pigs ears. As soon as I did, her stools went soft to runny. Stopped giving them to her, and they firmed back up.

I think there are a lot of good foods out there. Which is 'best' is much like the Chevy vs Ford debate. There are also some bad foods out there.

3. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

Hoyt
    We just got back from So. Cal (HRC HT) late last nite.
    Check your PMs

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Been feeding my now 8 month old lab Purina Pro Plan Sport All Life Stages. She has been fed that since going on solid food when she was still with the breeder. Never had a problem. Stools are good.

5. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

It has been my experience that each puppy is different and there are many variables that come into play.
    Given that, it becomes more important to decide what is best for each pup. Regular stool samples to
    the vet is a good rule to follow, but deciding what is causing any issue needs to be thoroughly studied (vet).
    Weighing a pup regularly is proactive. Knowing about how big the pup may be eventually can be helpful, but
    within each litter there are often variations in size. Leaving a pup unattended outside is an invitation for
    issues. If they can get it in their mouth, some will do a lot experimenting. Most dog foods provide a range of
    how much to feed your puppy this is often read with varying degrees of understanding. Awareness is the
    best approach. There is a bit of art plus a lot of common sense in the science of feeding a puppy. :reader

And of course there will always be a "magic potion" that will solve the problem. :h

It has been my recent experience that giving advice to someone I don't know about a pup I have never
    seen is kind of like trying to fly an airplane with no gas. Lesson learned. :yes

6. Hoytman

Hoytman Elite Refuge Member

Thanks, Doc. I got your pm.

We will certainly take this advice and keep weighing our pup, and even take some stool samples to our vet, just in case. I will also be contacting the breeders this evening to gain some insight as to what each parent weighs. We are keeping an eye out for being able to see her ribs and will slightly increase food as we see a need, plus pay attention to how hungry she may or may not get. Of course, most labs like to eat, so I know to be careful.

We're going to stay at 3/4 cup twice daily until we think we need to change to less, or more. Pups passive treat training will include this daily ration. Treating will not be an addition to her daily rations. That is, we'll hold back 1/4 cup at each feeding to work on training, then we'll feed. A hungry belly helps get things going in the right direction.

7. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

Some good info here and a little not so good. Several of the foods mentioned at the start of thread are pure garbage....Science Diet, Eukanuba, etc are garbage. I'm deep into retriever field trials and I'd venture a guess to say that 80% trainers, handlers, breeders today are feeding Purina Pro Sport Perfomance, 30/20 blend in both puppy and adult formulas. Supplements are very important especially salmon oil and 1-2 different types of probiotics. Victor and Wilderness are also top adult foods.

Stay away from rawhide chews, not entirely sure about pig/cow hardened chews. Do not know anything about them. Chews are not for nutrition purposes.....for teething and helping the dog break down tartar buildup....however chews don't really get the total job done but regular vet dental cleanings do.

I would not get overly interested or excited about the U of OH dog food grain study. Ohio is far from a leading vet medicine research center. Not the likes of Penn St, U of VA, Cornell, U of FL, U of WA and of course, the grand daddy of all...U of CA Davis. Lastly, never-never feed before physical training and feed at least an hour or more after physical training.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019