Q for Rick Hall or other Speck callers:

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by GulfCoast, Jan 10, 2018.

1. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

What is the practical (if any?) sound or operational difference in a double-reed speck call, and a single-reed speck call?

TIA!

2. redleg one

redleg one Senior Refuge Member

I am not a call maker but have ran a double since 2009

In my experience,it used to be that the single was easier to start,and more efficient,faster and the double was a power call----it has now progressed to where a double has a lot of the same positive running characteristics of a single AND added backbone on the power end if needed---the high is protected from smearing out

I honestly can't tell a difference now in the effort needed to run a single vs a double,but I am a power caller and like the added backbone for long distance calling

I also like the added richness further up the scale of operation and volume,although now the singles and doubles are just about as loud as each other,and the double will run on the finesse end so it really boils down to user preference

So for me---richness retained throughout the range,little more room to push on the high end without overblow or smear out,and maneuverability of a single with the ability to run light if needed

I must have confidence to break far birds in the field,the double has given me this confidence on a consistent basis,and I happened to win a few contests with doubles as well

choc24/7 and GulfCoast like this.
  3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I'd listen to redleg one, who kills a lot more specks than I have since moving to a marsh blind. And my only double reed speck call experience was with a borrowed Redbone I didn't have long or learn to like. John's a whole lot more serious about perfecting his calling than I ever was.

4. boatdriver

boatdriver Refuge Member

Please take redleg one's comments serious... And, FYI, he's won MORE than few contests..... Impossible to be as good as this guy on birds and on the stage.