Question for those who were able to shoot lead...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Northhunter, Sep 2, 2017.

1. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Remember those mark 5,s well. My father smore by them in 2 3/4 inch for waterfowl hunting. When they were first introduced you couldn,t buy a better shell

Dek likes this.
  2. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

If you have ever cut open one of the old Mark V shells you would see a low quality component stack. Compared to what we have today. Paper wads, shot that is corroded. I think the MV shells big improvement was its powder and Consistent performance when they were fresh.

3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Exactly, dad was from the paper hull era. That's why his 870 kept working when the ol a5,s quit. Wet swollen hulls didn,t cycle to well in those old a5,s even with all the hype about them being great guns. That and most really didn,t bother or know how to disassemble and clean.

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Ain't that the truth and that's why I started loading my own Waterfowl loads ! I started with Win AA CF hulls progressed to Plastic SW hulls
    and as adventurous as I was , A ballistics Professor shared a Buffered load with me that is hard to beat , even to this day ! With NEW (and improved)
    powders 4756 was still hard to beat . The Longshot powder I use today is a versatile powder along with the Herco and 800 X for hevi loads . We
    have come along way with performance in shotgun ammo , I just can't say the same for Shotgun....durability !

5. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

Durability has never been an issue for me. If course I mostly shoot BPS 10ga, 20ga, Remington 1100 12ga or the 12ga Wingmaster.

6. Ravenanme

I can certainly see WHY ! :l:l:yes:tu
    Done seems to be made out of Plastic ?

7. fowlogic

fowlogic Senior Refuge Member

Northhunter. I started this passion in '76. I liked lead 5's and 4's. I shot 6's too. I started with steel in '80. Minnesota required it on state WMA's and Federal refuges. That year I started hunting public tracts almost exclusively. I used steel 2's from the get-go. Shot lots of Ringnecks back there. Some Bills too, but wild rice fed Ringnecks were tasty. We concentrated on Mallards and Ringnecks. Our shots were generally under 35 yards. Loved the decoy action! In '85 I started reloading steel. I shot 2's and 3's mostly. Still bought factory 2's for my Dad. I went with the NTC company for wads and data. For geese I started with steel BB's and graduated to T's. Out of my BPS 10 they were deadly. Still have it, but it became a 'closet-queen' when Hevi-Shot came out. Years ago the game for me became one of getting honkers in very close over decoys. Gonna shoot Rotometals Bismuth shot out of my twelves(and maybe 20) at geese this year. Hard shot makes for dental bills, especially when it's hidden in goose meat. Bismuth is softer. And I'm almost out of Tungsten Matrix. Bought that when it was $15 a box.

8. Jjm

Jjm New Member

The steel loads are good now, but not lead. I used to use 6 and 4 shot.
    All the choke and shot manufactures talk about patterns and pellets on target. They can't touch what copper plated buffered 2oz lead 6s used to do in December and January. The pattern didn't have holes,was like throwing handful of sand at them. Late in season moved up to 4s. Birds were always stone dead at 40-50 yards. Got the occasional cripple, but nothing like with steel. Didn't have to shoot as many again.
    Also, shot giant canadas with #4 buckshot, talk about dead. Steel is good, vastly improved from the beginning, but still is not an equal to lead.

9. Ravenanme

If this isn't dreaming , I don't know what is ! The effects of shooting Lead is becoming like Folklore and I'm just as guilty as the next guy as I started
    back in 62 as a young fella buying a box Federal #4's for $2.25 . They killed with ease "if" you put it on them and we were always ready for the occasional
    Rooster to jump up on our way out of the club . It wasn't but a few years later I started reloading and with the addition of Flour , then plastic , Buffer gave
    the ability to reach father and farther was the game "IF" they didn't want to work ! Now with Steel Shot we're back to letting'em work but , killing them
    still isn't a problem with the right load !

10. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Did not know Buckshot was ever legal for waterfowl.