Questions for Ice Eater Owners

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by creighton58, Jan 25, 2011.

1. creighton58

creighton58 Elite Refuge Member

My questions really only pertain to those of you who are running an ice eater off of a generator. If you are running it off electric then you have got it made! #3 is the question I'm most interested in.

1. What model and HP ice eater are you running? Are you happy with it?
    2. What size generator are your running?
    3. How many gallons of gas does it go through per day if you keep it running all day/night with the current set up you have?

Thanks!

2. TMWtrfwler

TMWtrfwler Elite Refuge Member

I just got one a couple weeks ago.

1) 1hp ice eater - from mallard view outdoors
    2) Honda eu2000i
    3) the generator will run for roughly 4 hrs on the 1gal tank on the generator.

I purchased this unit ( http://ipiindustries.com/index.html ) to add on for longer run time. Just get the hose / cap and get a larger tank yourself) I now have 10 gallons to run with (1 in the generator and a 9 gallon external tank). I am running roughly 40 hours on one fill up. Straight time - no breaks.

This is keeping 1/4 acre open on an acre pond. Perfect hole to shoot over.

Now if I only had ducks in the area.....

3. JAnglin

JAnglin Elite Refuge Member

500 foot extension cord running the 220 volt. Two years running strong other than when the Yotes chew through the cord which has happened twice this year.

Just saying...it may be possible to run an extension and save some money and PITA on the generator. You have a pivot nearby?

4. Kill'm and grill'm

Kill'm and grill'm Senior Refuge Member

I have this same set up except I am using a 12gal gas can out of a boat gravity fed. Will run for 48 hours plus.:tu

5. JAnglin

Water depth should be a huge consideration when you're trying to chose which size. If you are simply trying to keep a hole open in shallow water the small one would probably work fine. In my case it's in a lake in over 5 feet of water so I need to push the flow further. The video of guys that have them in like 3 feet or less of water...my take on that is if you aren't going to let it eat then you'll have to either bust a hole or kick it on and let it bust one for you so more force will help open and clear the hole. But I'm of the opinion that the boil of water tends to spook some birds. I've seen eat up finished geese literally crap themselves and flare as they started to land on it. Like the freakin' Kraken was coming for them!

In my case it never stops running and I'm focused on turning water over to get the warmer water to the surface. Adjusting the nozzle is important because you can push this water towards the bank and open the edge or push it away from shore. I did that last year and frankly I preferred that because it's convected warm water inshore. Imagine trailering a boat and hammering on the throttle and watch the water eddy back inward. When I'm pushing warm water inshore it tends to stack up and push off to the side and leave a smaller hole offshore. I'd much rather have a large black spot hole that only gets close to shore.

If you're going to hunt it then it's nice to have stable ice along the edge to put decoys on whereas directing in inward tends to destabilize the ice and putting decoys on snowy ice like sleepers shells and a few full bodies works much better than filling your hole with a bunch of floaters. My goal this summer is to extend the stand so I can put the damn thing in like 8 feet of water which will allow me to create a larger hole and still have enough shoreline ice to use plenty of shells and fb's. If you want to come and look at my set up let me know.

6. JAnglin

Creighton...do you have a source for well water?

7. creighton58

creighton58 Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the info everyone! This is the type of stuff I was hoping to figure out.

Jay, when/if we get one, I may take you up on that and come check yours out and get some pointers on the best set up and design. There is a pivot near by but I do not own the land, I could possibly work something out with the farmer but how would I know how much money to give him to cover the extra electricity?

Do you have any idea exactly how much of your electricity bill it runs up when it's running 24/7?

Thanks again for the replies and keep them coming.

8. Luv2sled

Luv2sled Elite Refuge Member

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread but is it at all feasible to run an ice eater off of Solar power and batteries?

9. JAnglin

Yeah anytime...I'm 70 minutes from Syracuse and 90 from Lafayette. I have no idea what the bill is because I don't pay it :tu I know it's cheaper than the guy paying expected. But it's paid in part by membership fees and more importantly the ice eater acts as safeguard for my expensive 140 acre lake largemouth pertri dish...I need lots of O2 for those stupid fish and we(the owner and I)have a mutual fear of winter kills. In fact, we are going to put at least one more in next year and I may have to use a generator but that's okay because I have access to two Generacs and a HUGE Honda. It's nice to have toys like that but lots of our work is theoretical so if anybody can learn from our mistakes then I'm happy to help you skip to the successful options.

When the temps are near freezing I usually kick it off. Next year I think I may put a timer on it so that during daylight hours it either shuts off or cycles on and off a few times. I'm not sure how badly that will impact the start up cycle and what kind of wear it will put on the motor. When its very windy I would like to have the ability to turn it off as well. Ideally I could actually have a switch hooked up to my laptop so I could just check the weather station we have and shut the dang thing off. It's only 7 miles from my house but some days it's hard to get out there.

10. JAnglin

I'm sure there's a plug in style way to gauge power usage but it may be easier to just use good old fashioned math and use the past couple years of his electric bill and pay the difference at the end of the year.

In a field setting one thing I've been thinking about is using the well at the pivot to allow ground water to flow through a perforated hose or two. I'm thinking that the head pressure it ample to install a spigot so no pumps have to be used. Essentially you'd run some cheap plastic hose...the kind you by in a roll and put it in a furrow and let her rip. If you don't have a functioning tile or the ability to drain it then obviously this won't work because you'll flood the living crap out of it.

Imagine how cheap this plan would be. Figure an uninsulated hose will drop the water temp a few degrees but you're still going to have water well above 40 degrees pumping into your duck killing hole. I think it would work great. Anybody heard of this?