Raccoon - it's what's for dinner

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Jan 6, 2018.

1. pentail

pentail Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

2. cprodave

cprodave Refuge Member

I tried Coon pan fried loins with Cajun seasoning, then in a Crock-Pot on Low for a couple hours. It was ok but not great. As I recall (this was about a year ago) it gave me gas. Not nearly as tasty as squirrels. I may give coon another try using my curry jalepeno recipe that makes even male hooded merganser taste quite good.

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

In my advanced years, everything I eat gives me gas.

4. wanapasaki

wanapasaki Senior Refuge Member

I'd be a lot more trusting if I shot it far far far from the city. I catch them to train the hound pups and every single one of them is infested with fleas and ticks.

5. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

Bob cat back strap is actually pretty good. My friends dad tricked me into it, he had cooked it over charcoals. He said "here, try this." I asked what it was, and he said "you've eaten it plenty of times." I said ok, I ate it, then asked what it was. I don't think I need to say what he said.

Banded1 and goosenazi like this.
  6. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

I have read that mountain lion is incredibly good. I'm skeptical that carnivore can taste that good but I've read it from several sources.

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

People around here say that all the time. We have lots of cat hunters in the area.

8. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Have heard the same. A guy I know got one last spring and he said people were calling him from all over to get the meat.

9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Never had lion but if it tastes like domestic cat, then it’s pretty good. Better than coon for sure.

stevena198301 likes this.
  10. Northhunter

Northhunter Refuge Member

I took Fish & Wildlife in college. Our program had an agreement with a large, long standing hunt camp. We stocked their lakes with trout and they let us use the camp exclusively 2 times year where we did week long "field camps". Every fall camp does a wild game dinner. Our environmental chemistry prof. was telling me how one night they hit a Lynx with the van on the way in, so they cleaned, cooked and ate it. Said it was like "The most flavourful, tender chicken you'll ever have." I have no idea how they prepared it.