Real old school...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mark seaters, Oct 7, 2018.

1. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

It's what we use to start our camp fires with...now it's full blown lighter fluid...

2. ducknutz

ducknutz Senior Refuge Member

I think even Joe the Baker ran one of those bags at Sutter back in the 80s

callinfowl likes this.
  3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I know long hair'd Eugene ran paperboy bags and no waders in ball deep freezing water at Sutter back in the 80's. Yes that is water and sutter used in the same sentence. :doh:l

green with ring likes this.
  4. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

did you have route...219 ?

IMG_9049.JPG

5. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Me and my older brother delivered the SF Chronicle back in the 70's in the Westlake area. I hated the holidays and weekends, the adds in those papers are probably why my back is so jacked up. Our cousins would take over our routes during duck season so we could go hunt with dad.

OGblackcloud likes this.
  6. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Like Callinfowl, I remember holidays were the worst, especially Thanksgiving. Sucker was huge with all those adds back in the day. As a ballplayer I took great pride in being a ble to "porch it" when necessary. You know, hurl a paper right up on the porch, good for tips at collection time!

freefall, OGblackcloud and callinfowl like this.
  7. Green house

Green house Refuge Member

Merced Sun-Star for two years then delivered papers to the paperboys for 2 more years. Left to work in fruit packing. Never used the bag for decoys, I used the two gunny sacks tied together and strung over one shoulder.

8. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

We used paper bags for years to pack decoys. We dyed them green and brown. We were able to carry 2 dozen Plast Duks (inflatable ones) each. Those bags were god awful heavy with all the dekes, your gear and then a tule stool. Eventually I created a rack for my bike that I could hang them off my bike and that wasn't so bad. I started using a bike in the early 80's at San Luis before I ever saw another bike but we still spent most of our days walking across country because back then there were only so many roads that could get you where you wanted and many of the roads were too tough to ride (tall grass not mowed).

Kevin

9. river_city_dogs

river_city_dogs Senior Refuge Member

Ha. Mine said "Sacramento Bee."

10. DkKiller&Max

DkKiller&Max Elite Refuge Member

I ran the Oakland Tribune. I rolled with my Mongoose BMX bike. Had moderate hills to navigate. I’d take over a friends route often to double up but his route was a littler steeper. I can still remember this one house I roofed siz times. House was dropped down off of the sidewalk and I’m headed down a hill so trying to get the paper on the porch was challenging. Loft with carry was no bueno for a youngster.

freefall likes this.