Real old school...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mark seaters, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Maineduckhunter

Maineduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

Only did the paperboy bag (SF Chronicle), and of coarse, the giant mesh bags you could fit a Whale in...lol I do remember hauling 3 doz. weighted keel magnum Mallard and Sprig decoys in that mesh bag. I wouldn't do that now, but I was a young buck back then, so it wasn't too bad...lol

2. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

Yes. We used the Newman Bennett inflatable decoys if I remember correctly.

3. ducslayer

ducslayer Elite Refuge Member

Kids had a chance in those days to start delivering news papers then move on in HS to pumping gas and cleaning wind shields . It was a good way to learn work skills like being on time,working hard and earning the money for things you wanted. No one expected to be handed everything!

4. bxcall1

bxcall1 Senior Refuge Member

Some of us started off picking prunes at 10, then work your way up the farm work ladder.

5. 7pntail

7pntail Senior Refuge Member

That was close to my hood, but not my territory. Parents still live in the same house near Park st.

6. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

:tu:tu

Grew up in the country, in early high school me and 2 buddies thought we were going to get rich picking grapes. Buddies dad owned a bunch of grapes so we signed on with a full force of border brothers..

We all started on our own row... by lunch break we were so far behind we all three had to jump on one row to keep up with the truck...

We quit the next day....o_O:(:(

7. BMan

BMan Elite Refuge Member

it was a lot more balanced than a backpack bag like we have these days - carried Victor mallards (about a dozen) and then another dozen or so drop and fill (forget the brand name) they could roll up and fit in between the victors - for day it was state of the art stuff - thos blow ups looks awful - the beeks would be bent on some - didnt seem to stop the ducks ? Maybe they were dumber back then!

mark seaters likes this.
  8. bxcall1

bxcall1 Senior Refuge Member

Or the decoy manufacturers have brainwashed all of us. I suspect the ducks are as dumb today as back then.

mark seaters and callinfowl like this.
  9. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

Waterfowl Hunting became an industry instead of a mere something for enjoyment

10. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Are you talking about the rubber decoys with the metal ring on the bottom that you dropped on the water to capture air? DeeK's were the name if I remember correctly.
    We had about four dozen of those, I don't remember anything flaring of of them.
    I wish I had them now, they started making them again a few years ago but they cost more than some standard decoys.
    http://www.deeksdecoys.com/?post_type=product