Remington Hypersonic

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Snake Oil, Oct 11, 2017.

1. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

That's just crazy. I've heard story's of them being really hard on guns, guys saying they won't shoot them in gas guns because of what they do to them. I'm not shooting a shell that might break my finger from normal shooting. A duck or goose isn't that hard to kill. I shoot a SBEII and I've got a couple cases of 3 1/2's but I don't shoot them very often.

2. Snake Oil

Snake Oil New Member

Your assumption is invalid. My go to load is load is Remington Nitro Steel 3 inch 1 1/4 oz #3s at 1450FPS. I'm happy with the performance of this shell shooting my SBEII with factory improved cylinder choke. I was given a couple of boxes of Hypersonics and therefore was seeking opinions as to their performance as stated in my post. Thanks for replies.

3. dla

dla Senior Refuge Member

And that is what circulates on forums.

4. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Exactly, I didn't say they were facts but stuff I've heard from guys I hunt with. I stand by the last 3 sentences of my post. To be clear the 3 1/2's I have aren't hypersonics just standard 1 9/16oz-1 1/2oz loads. I've never bought into all the super fast shells.

5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Just went back to the referenced publication (prairie storm) and it appears the above (quoted) bolded verbiage has been edited out. Wow!

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Basically a lot of it stems from the fact very few people actually know how the Hypersonics work. As I stated previously Remington is using the wad to control the load and pressures in their variation of what's know as the High-Low pressure system originally developed by the Germans in WWII, modern day 40mm Grenade launchers uses a similar system. The system was originally designed to propel a very heavy projectile(grenade) from a lightweight firing platform.
    DRAWING.gif
    This is Remington Hypersonic wad, the stem part is what sits basically on the primer with what little bit of powder it has in it from the loading process which by the way is a roll of the dice because when they are loaded there is no control over how much or how little powder goes in the stem. Upon firing the force from the primer and the small powder charge propels the shot and wad forward greatly increasing the expansion room the gases produced from the heavy powder charge used has.
    In a nutshell they are increasing the burn chamber volume to decrease pressures and as I stated before sometimes it works and sometime sit doesn't because there is no control over how much or how little the wad and shot charge are propelled forward, basically a roll of the dice on every shot. It works but how much or how little it works is not controlled and varies from shot to shot.

7. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Personally I have never shot nor patterned any 3" Hypersonics. But what I can tell you is when I patterned 3 1/2" 2s, and BBs, these shells perform well with a Modified and Improved modified choke in my Super Vinci and Super Nova.

As far as recoil, a 3 1/2" 12ga Hypersonic in these two guns does not seem too excessive I think because of the stock design. I will not shoot these loads in my Nova.

As far as noise, they are very loud.

As far as effectiveness, very effective on ducks and geese with tight enough patterns to shoot mallards and geese on the water at 45 yards and easily drop geese at 60 yards with steel BBs.

BTW, if you can't handle the recoil of these shells and shoot proficiently, you should turn in your man card.

IMG_0426.JPG

8. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

My hunting buddy gave me a box of 3-1/2" #2s for Christmas (he got a good "deal" on a case). I shot 3 just 3 out of my SBE II and it almost knocked me outa the boat, I was shooting almost straight up. Yes they are a bit loud, eh?

9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Typical low brow statement.

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Yep, you need all that and more to kill a duck.............

............sometime less is more............................

I don't shoot a .410 for ducks, but I do handload my 12 g 2.75" down to 3/4 oz and have had loads all the way down to 1/2 oz with felt spacers when I was handloading for the kids when they were small. Still killed lots of birds with those loads.

Its the plumber,,, not the tools.

creedsduckman likes this.