Reputable Guides

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by J.Blackburn, Apr 12, 2017.

1. J.Blackburn

J.Blackburn Refuge Member

Howdy fellas,
    I live in California and my entire family is planning a trip to Florida in June or July. While we are there I would love to do some alligator and hog hunting and maybe even some bass fishing. My question is who are some reputable guides that I could look into booking a trip with and what should I expect to pay for a gator/hog combo hunt? I'm not looking for a trophy gator just looking for something in the 7-9ft range. I'm more interested in the experience than the size of the gator plus I've always wanted to try alligator meat as I've heard it's delicious. Based on what I've seen online it looks like a gator hunt for a 7-9ft gator is around $1500... and hog hunts are around $450. Is this common? Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Gator..is done "in season".... which is Sep-Nov

Hogs...are the property of whoevers land they are on....so they can be hunted on private land year round ( and certain other places also )

I do not know about gator since I go without a guide but the "tag" is $275 for 2 gators.
    I have seen hog hunts much cheaper...like 150 - 200

Bass fishing?...If you are talking " Disney" pretty pricey but lots of little bass.... If you want big ones...that is live baiting (shiners)
    and there are some "known" big bass lakes.

3. J.Blackburn

Thanks for the info! The guides I've looked at online that offer gator hunts say they do them year round on private land? Not sure what the deal is there. As for bass fishing. I've always dreamed of fishing the big O or istapoga.

4. duckmanJR

Year round = I can only imagine these are "pets" and not fair chase.... private land means they are "owned".
    Look on myFWC and you will see that season Gator tags get draw fairly soon...

If this is a trip to Disney with Family...Big O is a good drive south ( Hours )...And Isty is only 35 miles north of that and not in great shape right now. Toho is closer....Kissimee might be a better option.
    I personally would recommend Stickmarsh / Farm 13 with shiners if a personal best is wanted... June / July is not a great time.... Best is Dec thru March (spawn)
    June / July is hot as fire and rain almost every afternoon and our lightning storms are no joke! .....Anyway, by 9 - 10 AM it is quitting time for AM's...You could also do right after a rainstorm (cools things off) late afternoon...or... Full moon might be OK on a night trip....
    I know this is not really great news for you...I can PM my number and give you some ideas and options if you like...

5. J.Blackburn

No worries man your giving me good info which I appreciate. We are still working out details but I believe we will be staying at a friends condo in Naples. I personally don't mind driving a few hours away for a day or two to do some fishing. We are spending a week in FL so I'll have plenty of time to do everything. As for the gators I'm pretty sure since they are on private land the guides are allowed to manage and hunt them year round. Kind of like high fence hunting which I am not a fan of. Maybe I am wrong but that is how I am taking it. I don't need to hog hunt because we have tons out here in California... I've got access to numerous ranches for pigs out here.

6. duckmanJR

OK...I was fooled with the "Family" thing...It seems it is always a Disney trip when I hear that phrase. Naples is a totally different thing then...Lake O is your CLOSEST good bass fishery lake... Your closest access will be Moorhaven but I don't know what guides work out of their ( small rural town) Clewiston is your spot....look up Roland Martins marina.

Have you considered Tarpon fishing instead?...that will be in your back yard...and will be near peak in June into July.

And yes.... the gator will be the "high fence" style thing..... Like picking the lobster you want to eat at the restaurant... :D

7. J.Blackburn

Tarpon fishing is also on my bucket list... maybe that would be a better option than the gator hunt since I don't really care for the high fence canned hunts. I really appreciate the info it helps a lot.

And for the record by family trip I mean me, my brother, my mom and dad and a couple friends. I'm in college and it's been long time since the whole family has had a vacation so we are all looking forward to it. Florida has something for everyone... it will be hot though! We usually go to frip island in South Carolina but we haven't been for years and decided to try some place new.

8. duckmanJR

Ok...If Tarpon is on your list...I would try and contact the Ft Myers Beach Tarpon hunters club ( facebook page?? ) ... You might be able to hook up with a guy if you offer to pay the costs and buy him some lunch...otherwise..maybe go over to Florida sportsman (magazine) website ..go to SW fla region and offer the same thing...

I would offer to come over and take you...but it is 4 hours away...and I don't know what I will be doing this far out ... I retired early and the wife is also retired....so we may be off traveling...

9. J.Blackburn

No worries, I appreciate the offer. We still don't even have concrete dates yet but once we figure everything out I may be offering lunch to a few guys in exchange for some tarpon fishing.

10. gatordone

gatordone New Member

people who can hunt year round are professional nuisance gator trappers. these guys have been doing it for generations and have access to tons of private property and great sized gators. they can also use hooks like in louisiana. +1 for CFL trophy hunts. the rest of us use fishing rods and treble hooks. 1500 for a gator isn't bad for an out of stater considering it's 1000 for out of state for two tags in the public drawing and thats IF you get drawn. 450 for a hog is a touch high.