Rio vs. Kent vs. Federal SpeedShok

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Sunklands, May 10, 2018.

1. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

I agree completely. I want a 2 3/4" shell for less recoil, which I used to be able to find at a reasonable price.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

I've taken the Expert 1 oz loads with 6's in them opened them up, dumped the 6's then loaded them back up with 1 oz of 3's or 4's in them, really not that hard to do. I prefer 2 3/4" 1 1/16 oz loads, the ones I make really don't have much recoil to them even at 1600 fps.

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

How do you go about opening up the crimps is there a tool for that? or do you just pry them open?

4. 10GAGENUT

I use a machinists awl, just push it in the center then carefully pry them open. You really just have to open them up enough to dump the shot out, use a funnel to drop the new shot in, then re-crimp. Biggest thing I caution anybody that try's this is weigh the shot from around five shells, average it out and replace it with the same weight of shot.
    I've found more times than not what the box says and what's actually in the factory shells shot weight wise can be a lot different.

callinfowl likes this.
  5. 10GAGENUT

These are some wads I salvaged from the Expert 1 oz loads, on the left is 1 oz of steel 3's and on the right is 1 oz of plated steel 2's, they fit real nice.
    expert1oz.JPG

Sunklands likes this.
  6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I did when you suggested it last fall and replaced the 6's with 4's and it seemed to work ok. (BTW, thanks for the advice on the scale to get. :tu) When I tried it with 2's I couldn't get a decent crimp, any trick to getting good crimps with the 2's? At the ranges I shoot I didn't notice any difference between the 4's and 6's in shells fired per bird so I stopped changing out shot. 2's would be for the windy coastal weather we get, 30-50 mph. If I could get decent crimps with larger sizes I would try it again. I still wish I could just buy them as a factory load but it gives me something to do when I have down time.

7. 10GAGENUT

With those wads you'll need to crush the leg section down with 2's, try around 80-100lbs of wad pressure that should do the trick.
    If not as a last resort then just cut the leg section out with scissors and put the shot cup on top of the gas seal section, it will work just be a PIA to do. Glad you liked the scale, important for doing this to say the least.

8. Billy Bob

Thanks. I wasn't sure what more pressure would do so I didn't force it.

Random question, have you ran the Expert 1oz load over a chrono?

9. 10GAGENUT

I only shot three just for curiosities sake, they were all under 1300 fps. That being said with cheaper factory loads you usually have to run around 10 over the chrono then average them to get near the listed velocity, usually they average out to where they are supposed to be.
    I know your looking for less recoil, but if your going to shoot sizes like 4's you'll do much better with the 1550 1 1/16 oz loads, I shoot 4's and 3's at 1600 -1650 fps and have excellent results, yes there is more recoil but not enough to ruin your shoulder.

10. Billy Bob

Thanks for that info. I really like those 1 1/16oz 1550 loads but with my eye issues I'm looking for less recoil so I try to only shoot them when I need larger shot like 2's. I don't shoot the 6's in wind over 15 mph. It seems like the patterns don't hold up in higher winds with the light shot sizes. Any wind over 20 mph and I go the 1 1/16oz 1550 2's