Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

RIP Greybeard

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by cootmeurer, Jul 31, 2018.

1. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Word from his middle son that this morning 4:20 AM Mr Dan Earleywine passed from this world.

The world is a poorer place.

goosehunter64 likes this.
  2. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

I've missed Dan's posts on here for quite some time. He was one of a kind and would do anything to help someone out. He found out that my daughter was taking up fly fishing as a form of therapy and sent me a collection of his own hand tied flies. The world is definitely a poorer place without his light in it.

Fowler267 likes this.
  3. Lester Scaup

Lester Scaup Elite Refuge Member

So sorry to hear of his passing. The banter on this site in years past is sorely missed, with Dan always being right in the middle of it. Rest in peace Dan.

Fowler267 likes this.
  4. keith_scumline

keith_scumline Elite Refuge Member

Sorry for the loss

5. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

From what you've told me, you and Dan's clan were rather tight....we are sorry for your loss.
    What little I knew Dan, he treated me well.

I've asked the owners and a moderator of this site to try to find ( they couldnt, it was deleted when the original owner sold this site ) where Dan first mentioned the IDDDDC.
    All I can recall, is that he said he appreciated those of us that waited for those divers to swing thru Illinois and Dad-gummit, he was starting his own club, the Illinois Diver Ducks Don't Dally Club, and he was appointing me the "Esteemed President" of such.
    For nothing more than an internet joke that went to far, we had shirts made, stickers and hats....we made sure Dan got his.

If I can find thru my files / photos of he and I and a buddy he brought down one duck season, I'll repost the pic.
    We had a nice flock of bluebills swing thru and some damn how we missed em, but Dan was quick to point out how sweet it was to hear that "ripping canvas" sound their wings made, and how some of us look forward to the Fall when we can hear that pleasant "ripping" sound from ducks brought down on a cold wind from northern places few humans have probably seen.

The first time I really met him, other than at an annual IL Forum get-together we had going at one time, a buddy of his got drawn for the 4 blinds they had at Sangchris ( I think theyve been deleted now ?)
    Dan, not knowing me from Adam, invited me up as one of the four hunters allowed per blind.
    We walked for what seemed like miles after beaching the boat to hunt what was considered the worst of the four blinds, only getting one bluewinged teal between the four of us.....but it was still a great time.

He and dukkalr (Rick Perry of Winglock Calls) made sure I got the #1 signed edition of Ricks IDDDDC duck calls ( a sharp, wooden call with a merganser in scuba gear Dan had drawn lazered on the call). Dan sent me some of his hand drawn cartoons. He sent me a CD of his son's band, so on and so on.
    Though I havent talked to him in Lord knows how long, I still appreciated his hospitality towards me.

RIP Mr. Earleywine
    Founder, IDDDDC

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  6. Il. MudDuk

A few of Dan's cartoons he sent me...

20180731_164348.jpg
    20180731_164405.jpg
    20180731_164426.jpg

7. metalworx

metalworx Refuge Member

Mr. Earlywine, rest in peace. To the family of Mr. Earlywine, my sincerest condolences.

Metalworx

8. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

I don't know what to say.
    Dan was quit a guy.I first met Dan
    at the Left Handers Club south of
    Springfield at a Refuge get together.
    I can't remember when that was.
    He referred to me as the Shootingest Gentleman.
    He also sent me a CD of his son's band and
    a personalized cartoon.
    He will be missed by me a great deal.

Prayers for his family.

Could some one post a copy of his obituary?

Danny

stevena198301 likes this.
  9. Il. MudDuk

Was this it?
    I cant find any of my pics from way back then, but dang, this was 13 years or more
    (note: not my pic, but one of Mr. Zettler's I found while searching for pics of Dan)

Olympus052205011-Copy.jpg

10. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Just checked, and Spfld State Journal Register doesn't yet have the obit. Probably be posted tomorrow.

A more distant note on Dan (we called him Buckwheat or Buck). I grew up with his boys, his oldest was about 4 years senior, middle son was a year older, and youngest son was my age. Also had a younger daughter. Dan had three distinct things that I can remember
    1st - he always had excess of boys at his house. At any given time there were outdoors adventures being planned and his house seemed to be the logistics center. I don't remember that we even knocked - pretty much you just walked in. If porch light was on, the door was open.

2nd - he was often scribbling or drawing something. Some of the cartoons were pretty ribald for the time (although tame by today's standards). Sometimes they would be custom drawn to memorialize something (like someone ripping assgas in the car while driving out to hunt).

3rd - he was the Peter Hathway Capstick of Chatham. If he was anywhere near an event, you let him tell the story because he could make a seemingly simple event come to life with detail. I still remember catching my first fox, with bait of my own making (rotten bluegill). We were trapping on a friend of his down near Waverly and his telling of the story made me out to be a regular 14 year old S. Stanley Hawbaker - lure creator, trapper extraordinaire.