Road kill

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by dan_sd, Mar 22, 2019.

1. dan_sd

dan_sd Senior Refuge Member

Well driving east from Yankton today I noticed 3 snow geese at 1/2 mile intervals laying on the shoulder. I've never hit one with the truck before so these must have died of old age because no one would just throw them out the window.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I see ducks and geese fairly often (6-10 times a year) here in MT, just driving to work. It happens.

3. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

In those situations it's far more likely they flew out of a truck bed then getting hit by a truck. That said if you get a big flock feeding near a highway if they get kicked up and spooked in a certain way that causes the whole flock to bank it's not uncommon for them to crash into each other and for some of the birds to fall out of the flock. Although that scenario is far more common on the roost ponds than out in the fields. Which I guess at this point down by Yankton is one and the same thing.