Rob Roberts?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by callinfowl, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I used to think the same way, until I realized that by shooting trap, skeet, 5-stand, and sporting clays, I could greatly improve my shooting proficiency in the marsh.
    Once I found out how challenging the clay sports really are, I was hooked and now burn a lot more cases of ammo breaking clay targets every year than it would be possible to shoot up (legally) hunting waterfowl, doves, etc.
    Give it a chance, callin', you might find out that a new target gun or three are in your future...

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I shoot Clay's when a friend calls a day wants to shoot, yesterday I shot 2 rounds of skeet for a 47 with my 20ga and a CL choke, thought it was mod, didn't check. Then we shot 2 rnds of skeet first rnd I shot a 24 second round the wheels fell off and I only shot an 18. I haven't shot my 20 ga in over a yr and haven't picked up a gun since January.
    My sporting clays scores are in the low 80s when they have the course set up for the Masters. I shoot my SBE with a Mod choke left in the gun the whole round. I can't stand choke changers they drive me nuts. Shoot what you hunt with for God's sake. What I hate about Clay's more than anything are the local, so called pro's and their little clicky cocky egos.
    Thinking they are all that because they were stupid enough to spend 13 grand on a fancey Kohler scaters gun.
    You know they type of guys that look down on you for shooting a field gun and carrying your shells in your wranglers front pockets.
    I love out shoot those guys.:yes:yes:tu

I used to shoot 8 rounds of skeet a week and averaged 23s with my mod choke. And you're right, I smoked ducks back then, mainly because I shot all Clay's with a low gun hold, so my mount and swing we're dailed in.
    Honestly I Got burned out on reloading and the cocky club shooters. I was a member and loved shooting with new people every chance I got. Money got tight and I don't shoot my 45acps or my rifles or shotguns every often these days.
    Between shotgun, rifles and pistols I was shooting close to 1,500 rounds per week. That was back when I was making good money and reloading five nights a week. Another reason is my back can't take it anymore.
    I was sore as hell after shooting 100 rounds through my 20 ga yesterday.:l:l:z
    Times have changed for me, in a bad way.

Sorry about the mistakes, I typed this on my cell, while laying in bed in the dark.
    Dan:yes:l:tu.

3. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

I had to look up the "slammer button". I have never worn out a gun, I have had to replace broken parts. I have a pump 20 ga. Winchester that I have fired countless rounds through(since I got it at age 11), but of course that is a "apples and oranges" comparison to a auto-loader.

I have only been shooting auto-loaders for the last 15 years or so. I grew up shooting pumps because that was what my Uncle John recommended I get. His argument was that his Model 12 never jammed, never malfunctioned. He pointed out that even the Auto-5 messed up on occasion. I was given a Model 1200(the 12 was no longer in production at that time) and like his old trusty Model 12, it never once malfunctioned. I hunted every day of the season in my youth, grew up on a farm surrounded by some of the best hunting on the planet. I started hunting doves on the opening day and quit hunting on the last day of rabbit season. Hunted all day on the weekend and every day after school. I have fired countless cases of ammo through that gun, not one malfunction in all those years. When steel was mandated, I acquired a Winchester 120 to shoot 3 inch shells in 12 gauge, and that gun has never malfunctioned either. I then got a 3 1/2 inch BPS, it was reliable, but not 100%. It would jam occasionally. I liked the look of the gun, I shot it well. But I didn't like the occasional malfunction and I got rid of it.

I am a disabled veteran, my situation has worsened over the years. I have to walk with a cane, I have trouble maintaining my balance. I found the recoil from 3 1/2 pump guns caused me to loose my balance in the boat with more frequency that I liked. I made the change over to gas operated auto-loaders about 15 years ago. I have a Mossberg Ulti-Mag, I really like it. It did break an extractor about 8 or 9 years ago. I took it to my gunsmith, he called Mossberg, got the part and I was back in business 4 days later. My primary gun now is a Browning Gold Hunter, I like it too. Not as heavy as the Ulti-Mag and soft shooting. I hunt 4 days a week during the season and shoot skeet all summer. It initially had some problems with reliability, but after a break in period(about 1/2 way through the first season) it became very reliable. I can't recall a malfunction in the last 7 or 8 years I have owned it. Not saying that it hasn't, I just don't remember one right now. I almost got rid of it when I first got it due to malfunctions, but it was like turning on a switch. One day it just started working. I really like my BGH.

So far so good. But I would fix it instead of replacing it. But that is just me. Once I get attached to a gun that works for me, I want to keep it.

callinfowl likes this.
  4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

My guns not worn out something is wrong with it that I can't figure out this time. So Im contemplating sending it to Rob to fix and while it's there go through it and freshen it up and do a forcing cone and trigger job on it. I figure it's money well spent to make it better than new. Like I said I have other guns, I just like the feel of the OG SBE and I'm used to it.
    I have a really bad neck and back, with pins and screws holding me together, so I shoot light and slow 1350 fps loads through my guns 90% of the time, when I don't man can I feel it for the next day or two.
    It sucks getting old.:l:yes

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I do not recommend forcing cone work for steel shot use if you already have good patterns. Many years ago I had a shotgun that patterned steel noticeable worse after forcing cone work. There is an old adage, "Never pick up a happy baby". Sounds like this guy does very nice work on recognizing and replacing worn parts.

6. Tuleman

I see this attitude a great deal on the target forums.

7. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

"Little clicky cocky egos"

Get down with your bad self Dan :grvn

callinfowl likes this.
  8. Tuleman

Let me be clear: the attitude I see so often on the target forums is that displayed by callinfowl. The irony in his post is thick.

9. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I want a K80.........:( ;) I shoot a Vintage Beretta 682 Gold Super Sporting for SC's and only shoot my SBE II a month before hunting season.

10. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Things may be different where you are, but where I am...you ain't out shooting those guys with 23's on skeet. Not happening.

Most of those guys that I meet on the range are actually pretty cool. Some are dbags, but that can be said for the general population.

Tuleman, DuckyPhe, JP and 1 other person like this.