Rob Roberts?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by callinfowl, Feb 17, 2018.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

That makes me laugh out loud, I can tell you have never been out here. There are so many possers shooting at these ranges that have the gear the full clothing line and pompous attitude that think they have the right stuff, until they step up to the line, it's laughable at best.
    It's guys like that that drove me away from clay shooting many years ago.
    My shooting is spotty at best, I couldn't string together four good rounds to save my azz.
    I shoot off hours to avoid the ego's.
    Dan:tu

2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Same here as the advice received (2 calls over a one year period) from Seminole Gun Works in that forcing cone work would not do much of anything for steel shot patterns and they didn't want to take my $$'s with such an outcome being the prognosis.

3. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I held off on forcing cone work years ago over fear that reduced recoil might effect the function of a recoil operated gun?

Maybe I was wrong? I never could tell much difference on an 11/87 that I did have done but I wasn't doing pattern testing before and after.

My gun has been banging away since late December of 1998. Lots of 3.5 inch loads during the first tens years of use. It finally caught up with the ejector which had issues with the set screws that held it in place wrinkling the metal. A local shop tried a spot weld and made it worse... Then I sent it to Bennelli, They put a used top half of the receiver on it from a 99 vintage gun with the newer design ejector.

Mine gets cleaned about twice a season. I'm dead tired when I get home and my gun stays in the gun case. It allows me to be lazy and just keeps shooting. I did put a sure cycle recoil and magazine spring in many years ago as I liked the idea of the no rust from a stainless assembly.

Mine could possibly benefit from a few new springs? It does not need to be polished as mine is WELL broken in. The forcing cone is tempting... I'm not sure if I could tell the difference of a trigger job? The camo dip is rubbed off on all the high spots. I have considered the Ceracoke but a local place is cheaper.

4. callinfowl

Damn, not what I was hoping to hear.:l
    I'm going to order every single replacement spring that Wolf makes for the SBE and try to sort the problem out on my own for now. :tu

5. callinfowl

What in the hell are you jabber'in about this time?

6. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I did use to have to calm the "shooters" down with their lead recomendations on the skeet field. My opinion was that I was not there to get better on the skeet field by knowing how much to lead. I wanted it to be instinctual for the blind.

callinfowl likes this.
  7. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Hey Dan,
    I was at a shooting event once and a guy in my group had all the fancy stuff, colorful custom chokes, fitted gun, sporting clays vest, etc. We go into the final round and I am down two clays. The guy got cocky and said if you beat me you can take my wife home. I ran the last five and he got rattled and missed three. And me with a borrowed duck hunting shotgun. :l:dv

callinfowl likes this.
  8. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Where is the rest of the story????

Fowler267, Tuleman and ronaldo like this.
  9. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

I had the forcing come on a Browning 10 Ga lengthened. I patterned it afterwards and didn't notice any improvements. Nor did it reduce recoil.

Lots of disdain for clay target shooters out there. I am strictly a sporting clays shooter so maybe Trap and Skeet are a different breed but the folks I shoot with and interact with are solid people.

Doesn't matter what gun you shoot, it doesn't hurt to work on your skills by shooting clays. I currently have a 91% average in the NSCA and can tell you it translates well in the field. I shoot a Kolar in sporting clays and a Beretta Auto in the field. It's really all about fundamentals. Regardless, I have a great time breaking stuff and smelling gun powder.

OneShotBandit and Tuleman like this.
  10. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I am of the belief the more shooting you do the better shot you will be, unless it is only shooting your mouth off. :l
    I have heard it said a number of times the best cure for missing is to shoot a case of shells at targets.