Rotocasting decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Mjy17, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Mjy17

Mjy17 New Member

Hey everyone, new member here!
    I am looking for any help on what material to use for personal decoys that I am making. i have sculpted them (my dad is a potter so I have as much clay as I want) and made a silicone mold with a fiberglass mother mold but the product I bought from SMOOTH-ON is too rigid. It just turned into hard plastic. I am not looking for any secrets or anything because I have no interest in becoming a business. I am actually kinda new to waterfowl. I just want to build my spread. Any help would be great! Thank you!

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Buy a couple dozen Avian-X decoys. You'll have a higher-quality decoy that will be cheaper in the long run.
    BTDT.

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

While that may be true there is a great satisfaction in making your own decoys. As a carver you understand that.

To the OP, Good luck with your project. I will be following this interesting post.

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I do know the satisfaction that comes from carving your own wooden decoys, in the classic style. I don't know how much satisfaction I'd get from making a plastic-shelled decoy in the style that is presently commercially popular.

To the OP, you might look into a two-part polyurethane.

5. Mjy17

Mjy17 New Member

Thank you!

6. Mjy17

Mjy17 New Member

Will do. Thank you!

7. Bender

Bender Elite Refuge Member

I have a couple silicone rubber molds like you mention with glass mother molds. Mine are split with a left and right side, open bottom. I use leftover poly resin from boats I build to coat the inside of each mold. Then after that has cured I glass each side and connect the two. Finally I use more leftover resin to coat the inside a final time and fill with 2lb flotation foam. When I de-mold I have rigid shell decoys that are lightweight and strong, not prone to breaking. Also unsinkable with minimal shrinking or shape distortion. I get desired detail and painting is no problem. I don't use any mold release except the first decoy from each. Made hundreds off the same molds...

Cheaper than using specialized products. Everything I use is overlap from my boats. Almost all my resin is waste that would otherwise kick in the bucket and be thrown away. Scrap .75/1.5oz CSM.

PM me if you want. I'd text ya pics or explain on the phone.

mister gadwall likes this.