Salvation and sanctification

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Buffalo Howler, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

Acts 19:2-4
    “He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.“

It’s interesting today to see how many Christians focus on salvation. They can bring you to a particular decision they have made or a moment of commitment that they wanted to reset their priorities to the Lord. It’s interesting too that no where in the Bible is a decision to follow Christ a party. The importance of making a decision is a daily task. Picking up a cross daily to follow the Lord.
    Now ask a Christian if he’s being sanctified and you may get some looks. Ask them if they are being purified by the Holy Spirit daily and you may get the same response Paul has listed in the book of Acts.
    The Christian life is not about trying but dying. It’s not how big your cross is but that you die on it. If you were to ask any of the disciples what their decision to follow Jesus cost them you can be sure that they would answer “everything”.
    If your tired of trying. If your frustrated over a religious routine you do each week. If your sick of scandal after scandal. If your placing your hope in your church for salvation. Stop and ask yourself. What does it cost me to die? Your life. Give it to the Lord and live.

Colossians 3:3
    For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

2. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

A quote I liked about sanctification:

“Baptism is an ordinance of profound symbolism. In the purest sense, we are baptized to witness our willingness to accept Christ, to take upon us His name, and to commit ourselves to receive His atonement. We go down into the watery grave as a token and a remembrance of our Master’s descent into the tomb of death. We come forth, as did He, unto a newness of life: His a resurrected immortality, ours a sanctified mortality. Having been ‘planted … in the likeness of His death,’ we are thereby ‘in the likeness of His resurrection’ (Romans 6:3–5)”

Pastor likes this.
  3. Buffalo Howler

Ephesians 4:5
    One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

I can not support the Mormon faith. I watched a video of the Mormon’s baptism of the dead. I also met a man who’s ex-wife was doing that in the tabernacle and something in her soul told her that this evil. She told them she was done and walked away.

4. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

I have difficulty giving merit to a third hand account given about someone’s ex-wife. To be fair, here-say can be skewed to the perception of the one telling the tale.

I’ve felt the Spirit. I have never felt anything but peace and comfort in the Temple. Baptism for the dead is an ordinance performed in “behalf of” the dead because they are unable to perform this ordinance for themselves. The choice to accept or reject its blessings is still left up to them. Their agency, their ability to choose for themselves is not and has not been removed. Removal of choice is the devils way, not the Saviors way.

We’re taught in the scriptures to follow Christ. Would this not include following Him into the waters of baptism? Does not John 3:5 tell us this?

Christ was sent to sanctify and save us, as these are done out of love.
    John 3:16-17
    16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

I’m not trying to convince you of anything other than retaining the ability to see for yourself rather than rely upon a third hand account of someone else’s supposed experience.

If I relied solely upon the experiences of others, how would I ever build my own knowledge, my own testimony, my own beliefs, my own likes and dislikes of anything at all in this life?

You’ve undoubtedly seen the post I put up about the House of the Lord. Do you get the feeling of evil when you watch that? I’d be interested to know what you did feel after viewing it.

5. Buffalo Howler

I felt sadness. Sad that so many have placed their hope of salvation by an “ordinance” done by the hands of men. Correct me if I missed it in the video but where does it mention that we’re forgiven only by the blood of Christ? Water and spirit were what I kept hearing. Do you place your faith in what you have done or what Christ did?

6. sdkidaho

We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

The entirety of what we believe obviously wouldn’t be covered in that one video...

That was an assumption on your part.

7. Buffalo Howler

Galatians 2:16
    “Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.“

8. sdkidaho

Ok.

We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

9. Buffalo Howler

The Bible says a man is first Justified, Sanctified, Glorified. Justification is by the only by the blood of Jesus. Sanctified by the Spirit and Glorified by God. Like I said before I can not support the Mormon faith.