same size or diff

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by born2shoot, Aug 27, 2005.

1. born2shoot

born2shoot Elite Refuge Member

would u run standard mag, super mags and differ size geese or all the same size

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Elite Refuge Member

Without a doubt, one size for this guy..... Always been a superstition of mine.....

3. Milepost

Milepost Refuge Member

I've always ran a variety of sizes. In my area we get both Giants and Lessers - so different sized dekes don't look outta place.

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Im with Fanatic on this one, sorta, No super mags in my spread

5. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Depends on what the geese want that particular day and how quick you can figure it all out. Some days it matters some days it doesn't.

Mixed sizes does not bother me though and has worked plenty of times.

6. SHOOTumINtheLIPS15

SHOOTumINtheLIPS15 Elite Refuge Member

on the water we run all super mags...shoot just as many geese as the guys runnin standards....if not more.....we run everything in the feilds

doesnt seem to hurt

7. Honker Guide

Honker Guide Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

This is another very subjective question that will garner as many different answers as you will get replies! The answers to these types of questions always lies with the person who asks the question. For every situation there is a different answer. Try different spreads and see what works for you.

Years ago everyone started using the super mags and the geese would just love them. After a season or two, you couldn't get a goose to commit to them unless it was an unconditioned juvenile. What we did then, was to put the super mags in the field we didn't want the geese in and we put our regular decoys in the field we were hunting. It worked like a dream. The geese would spot the super mags form a distance and head right over to the other field, only to pull off of the super mags and head right to us. Then, without even circuling they would bomb right into our spread, like chickens on a string!

After people started to realize that most of the conditioned geese would not commit to the big decoys, they started to work again. We have mixed 3 different sizes of full bodies when we are hunting geese that range in size form the 3 lb cackler to the 13 pound honkers. This seemed to work for us, but that was a different time and place than our current situations!

Paul

8. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I hunt traffic near a reserve. My pit is in one of 3 lanes that the Geese use when they leave the Reserve. When the Geese aren't using my lane I need to get their attention any way I can. Flagging works great but I added 12 Super Mag Shells to the up-wind side of my spread. Since I hunt a hill the Super Mag's are highly visable and I believe that they have helped pull some Geese that would otherwise have passed by.
    I don't really like Big Shell's but the Geese like em'. I will use what ever it take's to get under a flock. None of the other hunter's in the area use Super Mag's so that may be a benefit as well. It pay's to know what your compitition is hunting over!
    Same thing go's for my silo's. I use them to attract Geese because of their size. But...I'm finding out that I need to keep some near the kill hole. Again, no one uses silo's in my area so I have an advantage there.

Once I have the Geese interested, I finish em' off with the custom's in the kill hole. This set up work's Great for me but may not in your area. I didn't learn this set up without making some mistake's but that's all part of huntin'.

Good Huntin'

Murph :tu