Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Saskatchewan snow migration

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by West Coast Hoosier, Sep 10, 2018.

1. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Just got back last night from Alberta hunted little west of Lloydminster with guide. Sunday got the 6-8 inches of snow. Monday had very nice shoot 80 snows and 48 darks in morning and limits of ducks in the pm. The snows that we hunted got up Monday and we shot out kept on flying and according to scouts, headed south as they never found them that afternoon. Tuesday with change in weather was tough but got some shooting in and yesterday our last hunt got some snows and decent honker shoot but snows they found a couple thousand but came all at once and no wind, so got a few. Overall was fun trip. Time to get ready for our season now.

Lots of unharvested fields still 4-6 inches of snow on ground. Feel sorry for farmers.

KID CREOLE likes this.
  2. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Ok back from Canada and immediately put to work but have a few minutes and thought I would post a few pictures and let everyone know how the trip went. As it turns out I was able to post pictures and keep up but then the snow hit. Actually able to drive into the field the first 2 days but then two days of snow so then we were not able to take the trailer and had to load everything in the Suburban. Roads got so bad we moved 30 miles from where we normally hunt just to get drivable roads. Worked out OK and got into a few birds. Normally a slow day is 20-30 birds but those are good days under these conditions. Everyone was having a tough go with the snow geese but we did pretty well all things considered. Birds were doing crazy things this year. One night we scouted and followed the birds off the roost and they went south 2-3 miles, then turned west and went 4 miles and then went north 15 miles. They then touched down in a field for a couple of minutes and then bugged out. Crazy stuff they were doing. Interesting events like getting stuck once and almost a second time, two days of snow and hunting out of our whites on a pump jack, Steve getting hit in the face with a blue that he shot and to cap it all off we hit a deer on the way home first thing in the morning. What made it most interesting was the red liquid pouring out of the truck, could not open the hood because we might not be able to get it closed and then the truck was out of alignment so top speed was 68 mph. The trip of a lifetime and hopefully we don't see another repeat like this for another 10-15 years. Had a great time but like the easy life of driving into the fields and lots of juvenile snow geese to make it easy. Thanks Bob

2 steve.jpg 1 g.jpg 3 sub.jpg

Attached Files:

PorkChop likes this.
  3. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

You must have been picking eagle headed blues out of the flocks.:bow

rdj.olympia likes this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I was trying to only shoot bar bellies on the Specks. Yea, I would pick eagle heads too!!

As to that last pic, yea, I remember roads like that. They got some serious gumbo up there.

rdj.olympia likes this.
  5. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Almost all adults in that pic. I see a couple young Specks and 1 young Snow. The rest look like all adults. You must have done a really good job of decoying. Or the weather was right.:clap:clap

rdj.olympia likes this.
  6. CA Birdman

Here are a couple pictures from Monday 10/8 after the overnight snowfall that pushed these concentration of snows out. We were with a guide. Specs were stupid that morning. 6 hunters.
    IMG_3155.jpg IMG_3187.jpg As we were done with geese decided to shoot some mallards. 46 out of 48 green for 6 hunters.

rdj.olympia likes this.
  7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Wow!! :tu

rdj.olympia likes this.
  8. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

Someone owes a case of beer if that is a hen (can’t tell bill color cuz of pic quality) :fp:reader

rdj.olympia likes this.
  9. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

My bad, 2 cases!

rdj.olympia likes this.
  10. CA Birdman

I got one of the two hens with a scotch double, bought drinks.