SB2315

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by KEN, Jan 26, 2019.

1. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

I suspect ND's ever changing demographics ... most people live in the larger cities may help defeat this one. ND sportsman need to keep calling their senators and representatives to kill this one. Forty percent of the ND districts are in the city or part of the city now.

Rural SW ND is just 4 & 1/4 districts (not including Dickinson and Mandan).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 1:37 PM
  2. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member

Once again I am merely stating my opinion of if this gets passed it will not bother me. I am not calling my representatives to tell them to pass this. I am saying either way it will not affect me or anybody else that is willing to do some work.

In regards to your above scenario I have on more than one occasion either saw a coyote, a fox, a slough full of birds, a field full of birds, all on posted land. I have tracked down the landowner and hunted it that same very day both in my general area and beyond. Is it a little tougher? Of course but the people I have met and the conversations I have had make it all worth it.

I don’t think I can beat the dead horse anymore.

Sdduck likes this.
  3. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

See that I understand that's why I keep bringing up West River you see east of the river almost all of the land owner are pretty well likely you can find them by knocking on a few doors of the neighbors. eventually one of them will point you in the right direction. So when I'm out West chasing antelope or deer there's almost no Farms out there and there's almost no way to get ahold of those people and this will end up basically making those places that do it a Refuge. I like you have tons of places Out in tne potholes I can hunt from years of getting to know all the farmers but this is a bad thing for the hunters and there is no question about that!.

4. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Sure we used to hunt Slope and Golden Valley for mule deer (if drawn) and sharptails. Few people around and it has to be even sparser now.

I'd argue even west of HWY 3 it often gets trickier. I would say Burke county is pretty darn desolate. One high school and just 2,500 people in the entire county. Montrail or Divide any better ?? Sheridan county ... can get pretty sparse too. Some of these areas you are lucky to find a mail box across several if not many sections of land.

Many, many farmers live in town ... 5 miles to 100 miles away and keep a farm house just for use during planting and harvest times.

We had permission on about 3K+ acres ... the owner lived 90 miles away. He would typically allow permission to many unless his extended family or us were hunting, but you had to know his phone number. We had to work around his families visits, but this land was full of waterfowl and a few upland ... every year. He hunted with us ... pheasants only because he would not get up early to drive for waterfowl and the farm house was largely shutdown by late October. So he said, I think he just did not want to shoot ducks or geese anyways, because we know he stayed there during deer season.

We posted about 1200 acres every year in the 90s and early 2000s for a gentleman that lived 120 miles from his property. He let people hunt if they found him. We eventually moved on (just to far away) and the land I suppose became unposted (well if the signs fell off). Nearly all his neighbors lived 5+ miles away. Again most farmsteads were for planting/harvest times only.

5. Jethro48

Jethro48 Refuge Member

Anyone know when they are voting on this?