sbe 1 ejector

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by 30# MERGANSER, Nov 15, 2018.

1. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

I have had one ejector break on me after 10 years of use. I replaced it. I wanted to have a spare should it happen again. When it happens your gun turns into a single shot. It is however easy to replace it. As for the recoil return plugs they tend to round off due to the fact I clean that area every hunt.

Mayes

Doug Koepke and callinfowl like this.
  2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

The extractor is mounted on the bolt. It grabs the shell rim on the right side. The SBE 1 original ejector was spring loaded, it hit the shell casing in the back on the left side. The metal would hit the shell and retract back then push back spinning the shell out.

Mine started stove piping. (Shell crossed up and stuck in the chamber by the bolt) My ejector was mounted on the upper action in a slot with two set screws holding it in place....(These were sliding, offsetting the spring action) The metal behind mine was slightly wrinkled. I took it to a local shop which actually made the gun worse by trying to weld a recess into the action.. Bad deal.

I sent the gun back to Bennelli and they swapped out a used SBE1 99 vintage which had the updated ejector. Gun is back to being ultra reliable.

mudhen and Doug Koepke like this.
  3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I can't get the extractor roll pin to budge, any of you have a problem tapping it out?
    I've tried top down and bottom up, the sucker isn't moving.
    It's driving me made, I can't believe I can't pop out a damn roll pin, is there any tricks with this extractor roll pin, all I want to do is pop in a new extractor, pin and spring and it's being a bitch.:doh

4. callinfowl

Between old eyes and a cheap harbor frieght punch set it took me a while to get that pin out.
    Whoever designed that ofset pin slot should be shot.:yes:l:l:l
    An old drill bit set saved the day, I was able to tap through the offset hole with a tiny drill bit. My extractor was worn much worse that it looked before removing it.
    Time to order up a few parts.:yes:tu

Fowler267 likes this.
  5. callinfowl

@Fowler267 .
    I just ordered a ejector spring ,lifter spring and 2 extractors, springs and pins.
    From Midwest gun works, they had everything in stock again.:tu
    After looking at the extractor in hand, I'm hoping this was the problem. one corner was worn down quite a bit. How hard is it to get the extractor back into the bolt head? It was a bitch to get out, and I'm pretty good with guns mechanically.
    I hope this fixes my soft ejection or fail to eject all the way problem, this gun was solid until the end of last season when it started acting up. I'd get 2 shots off and the 2nd shell would get stuck half way out of the port jamming me up.
    It's not bad when you have lots of birds around, but when you only have 2 or 3 groups for the day you want your gun to go bang every time you pull the trigger.

6. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I had a gunsmith replace the extractor as I had the same issues you did trying to get it out.

Bennelli replaced my upper receiver with a later version that was used that had the second generation ejector. I think(And hope) that it is the same one used in the SBE2 and #3?

The ejector is easier to work with. I figure that a new spring and possibly the tip of the ejector that touches the shell would fix the issue. My problem was that the ejector housing that held the spring etc was itself moving. It was held in place by two set screws and it showed metal fatigue/gauling/slipping.

7. callinfowl

Ok, cool I'm sure I can get it with a few beers and maybe a F bomb or two thrown at it.:l My ejector plate is the newer style, it's an SBE 1 but it's not the HK version, so the ejector plate just slides in with a few taps with a brass hammer and the spring feeds in through a small hole on the top of the ejector plate. I just spoke with one of the guys at Rob Robert's gun works, they were super cool, they told me that most likely my problems are being caused by the worn extractor missing the rim of the brass every now and then. Which would explain why it doesn't happen every time. Damn I hope this works, I'm getting tired of this crap. My gun has been awesome up until late last season when it started acting up.
    I'll post up once I get it sorted out.
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    Dan

Fowler267 likes this.
  8. mmayes

you have to heat the 2 screws up to break up the Loctite and then use a .5 or 1.5 allen wrench to turn them out and the ejector plate will slide out backwards. Be careful because there is a spring inside the could go flying. after you slide it out take the broken ejector out and replace with the new one and reassemble and add a little Loctite to the screws and tighten down and you should be good to go on the old HK ejector replacement.

Mayes

Doug Koepke likes this.
  9. mmayes

callinfowl, I just realized that you were taking the extractor claw out and not the ejector. I have replaced that as well. you do have to tap it out at an anlge which took me a little while but was not to difficult to do.

Mayes

Doug Koepke likes this.
  10. callinfowl

My ejector doesn't have any screws, it must be the newer type.
    Once I saw that you have to tap the roll pin out at an angle it came out much easier.
    What a crappy design, I can't see a reason for it except to give gun smiths little work. :l
    @mmayes how hard was it to reinstall the new extractor, spring and roll pin?
    It looks like it's going to be fun.:doh:l

Doug Koepke likes this.