SE MO glug glug

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Doofighter, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Doofighter

Doofighter Refuge Member

Arrived yesterday, been here 24 hours and it hasn't stopped raining, glug glug. Day 1 of 3 burned playing cards, eating and drinking, glug glug. LoL Hoping the forecast for clearing and wind tomorrow is accurate.

On the bright side, 48 degrees feels balmy compared to 10 with 2+ feet snow on the level at home. I'll quit whining now :)

2. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Whining is encouraged on certain threads of the Louisiana Forum (most of them are decent dudes) and is mandatory to belong to the Flyway Federation of Louisiana

While I am not close to SEMO--
    our local forecast for tommorow ......39/22 with morning snow
    Wednesday 57/29 Sunny to partly cloudy

bullpinnie likes this.
  3. BrowningGold10

BrowningGold10 Senior Refuge Member

It rained all duck season in SEMO as well....

4. Doofighter

Doofighter Refuge Member

Finally stopped raining Tue morning. Had some light wind and light fog, shot 6 adults. The rice field we were hunting drained quicker than expected. About 11 am sky started clearing and wind arrived big time. 20-30 gusts near 40. Birds did not flying til just before dark. And we were sitting in the middle of 3 really big groups. Up/down, up/down all day til sun went below the horizon.

Wednesday we showed up to a different field and found out our group (5+guide) was being combined with 5 others + their guide. Needless to say, we were not thrilled. One of the reasons we chose this outfitter was he claimed he limited groups to 5 or 6 hunters. The birds were flying, but would not work at all. Flew around us like we were a stinkpile. Probably the hide was not good (we were in whites on the ground) but I'm not sure.

I understand the reason he did it, a LOT of rain fell, flood conditions, and some of his fields were no accessible. Where the problem started was this "outfitter" met us Sunday when we arrived, showed us our accommodations where we would be staying, then we never saw him again, not did he call to check in with us. He let his guide deliver all the bad news which was he didn't have enough ground for all his parties to hunt. We understand mother nature totally sh$t on us, but there was no communication at all.

I've never been on a guided hunt before, so didn't know exactly what to expect. But I've been told by others that have used outfitters, they check in, make sure things are going to your liking, etc.

We got along well with our guide. Felt like he did everything in his power to put birds in front of us.

I'm reluctant to post the outfitter's name, idk if that's frowned upon.

5. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Don't know if anyone here uses local outfitters but I suppose as long as it is the truth and it doesn't qualify as slander or libel......you can pretty much say what you want.......

just sayin

6. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Why not ? Didnt perform to his rules and added guys to your group. Bad weather isnt the clients fault. Post the outfitter.

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Why not post it up if you felt like you didn't get what you paid for, maybe save others some grief in the future.
    I've been on plenty of guided hunts and had a lot better experience than you seemed to have had, bad weather and all.

8. Doofighter

Doofighter Refuge Member

Good points. It was show me snowgeese.

As mentioned, not blaming him for the weather, but we felt he could have handled it better. Others in my group felt like he should have had more ground to hunt, in case something like that happened. That wasn't necessarily my view. But, if you're going to start combining groups (groups that we're told they'd have their own field), at the bare minimum, you need to make a call to the clients and explain. Better imo would be to show up face to face and explain the situation. It wouldn't be hard to show up as all the hunters are housed in 4 house trailers on adjoining lots, all in the same location.

Hell, he could have even showed up on the day we shot a few birds and asked how the hunt went. Try to seem interested. Or the day before when we sat inside out of the downpour all day, just to be friendly. But, instead, he had our money and we never saw him again on a planned 3 day hunt.

At least we didn't get skunked. As I understand, we were the only group to shoot birds of 3 groups that we spoke with, during the 2 days we hunted.

My Dad, who handled the original contact with showme, is writing him a letter explaining our viewpoint to him. Fwiw

Attached Files:

9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Sorry you had such a bad experience, unfortunately a lot outfitters get your money and your SOL after that.
    Not that it would have happened but IMO he should have offered you something to make up for, even a partial refund, again in a perfect world I guess.

10. Doofighter

Doofighter Refuge Member

I'm not all busted up about it. We kinda picked the outfitter out if a hat, looked at website, called him couple times before booking. He said all the right things. Unfortunately, I was not a member here when we booked. There seems to be a lot of information here on the refuge and next time, we will go with someone with references. While not foolproof, that should get us better odds of having a good time.

We did have a good time, enjoyed hanging with the guys, etc.

As for refund, I did not expect that. I think that is a rare occurrence in this business. However, some sort of offer for another hunt, another time, perhaps at a discounted rate, would have went a long way with our 5 to at least showhe was cognizant of what was going on.