SE Zone drama

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by golden boy, Apr 28, 2018.

1. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

Thursday at the meeting to set dates for upcoming waterfowl season, the SE commissioner did not like Tom's dates so he amended the SE Zone to have no split and run it from Nov. 17 to Jan 27. It went to vote and tied 3-3. Lauber who seems to have a love fest with early migrants blocked the vote. Look for changes next year. Commissioner Bud is back!!!!! I think it is his twin brother, they look a lot alike.

And that is your weekend update..........................

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Blocked the vote, or broke the tie?

3. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

Vote was 3-2 in favor of a no split, run it for 74 days. Lauber was the last vote, he voted no, tie goes to no change. SE commissioner said he wants change next year.

4. Mallets

Mallets Elite Refuge Member

If the season gets any later...you could just shoot them off the nest!

5. Greentops

Greentops Senior Refuge Member

Ya there are a bunch of nesting ducks in the state of Kansas come january, what an outrage.

Renobber and ED Vanderbeck like this.
  6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I think Mallets was using hyperbole.

7. Renobber

Renobber Refuge Member

Heard some guys limited on baby drake chicks last weekend of jan. No hens.

8. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

Here's the transcript of what went down.

http://ksoutdoors.com/content/download/50001/507341/version/1/file/Briefing+Book+21June18.pdf

Commissioner Gary Hayzlett moved to approve waterfowl regulations as presented to the Commission. Commissioner Harrison Williams second.

Commissioner Rider – I move to amend that recommendation in southeast zone be put at November 10-11 and run November 17 through the last Saturday, January 27. I was going to put a split in there, run November 10 and 11 and move split there that you have in January. Bidrowski – Split would start November 17 and run through January 27? Commissioner Rider – That is correct. Bidrowski – We have had a similar season structure. Chairman Rider – We did in 2013 or 2014. Bidrowski – It was 2014, ran November 8 and 9 and November 15 through 25. Commissioner Rider - For feedback I have had, people in southeast zone, and looking at region and what it was designed for; some of warmer temperatures in November, in last few years migration is getting later and later and birds are stuck in South Dakota and Nebraska. We would like to maximize the opportunity for the late season. Chairman Lauber – You think of things from extreme southeast part and I think of north part. A previous commissioner and his group referred to early migrants as junk ducks. For people who like to hunt gadwalls and wood ducks they are a very early migrant. In most places when split is occurring, in northern part, it is all froze up anyway. Before we go any further someone is going to have to second this amendment and see if it passes.

Commissioner Aaron Rider moved to amend waterfowl regulations as presented to the Commission. Commissioner Tom Dill second.
    Commissioner Dill – It does open up where they can travel different zones for those five days to hunt? Bidrowski – It does. It is a hunter preference issue and hunters are polarized on November and January days depending on hunting preference and hunting location. There are more hunting opportunities those five days in November than there will be the first part of January.
    The roll call vote on to approve the amendment was as follows (Exhibit X):
    Commissioner Cassidy Absent
    Commissioner Cross Yes
    Commissioner Dill Yes
    Commissioner Hayzlett No
    Commissioner Rider Yes
    Commissioner Williams No
    Commissioner Lauber No
    The motion failed in tie vote of 3-3.

Commissioner Dill – You will try to address that issue next year? Bidrowski – Yes, we do look at it yearly and provide the most opportunity we can. Commissioner Rider – How far out do you think the possible additional days could be, two years or five years? Bidrowski – I am hoping it will implemented the same time we have zone changes, for the 2021 season which will be set in 2020. It is something that keeps getting pushed back as we work through these objectives. A big component of what they call double looping, it is trying to incorporate in more hunter satisfaction.
    The roll call vote on to approve original waterfowl regulations was as follows (Exhibit X):
    Commissioner Cassidy Absent
    Commissioner Cross Yes
    Commissioner Dill Yes
    Commissioner Hayzlett Yes
    Commissioner Rider No
    Commissioner Williams Yes
    Commissioner Lauber Yes

9. MrMallard88

MrMallard88 Senior Refuge Member

If they shrink the SE zone in 2020, I'm going to lose my mind.

Honestly, I don't really care when the 5 day split is -- its a weather crapshoot every year -- and no one commissioner or club owner has control over that aspect. What I do care about is that the size of the area huntable through January stays as large (or larger) than it is now.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  10. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

Rider wants it as late as possible the southeast corner rarely sees ducks before 1 week in nov usually into 2 week but thats not the issue here the later start is. Why open season when birds are in south dakota? Can someone explain that one to me i am puzzled by this