Second slowest season

Discussion in 'Oregon Flyway Forum' started by DG1959, Jan 21, 2019.

1. DG1959

DG1959 New Member

This had to be the second slowest season I have seen in some years. Geese everywhere, ducks not so much. Hiked many miles checking sheet water areas that seem to have gobs of ducks most years..... saw 0 yesterday.

2. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Sorry to hear that. Myself and all the folks I know around the state seem to think it was just a normal season. Not great, not bad.

3. Tystix

Tystix Senior Refuge Member

I'm with DG. No way it was a normal season.

4. blacktail

You guys primarily valley hunters?
    My folks are way east or on the coast

5. Tystix

Tystix Senior Refuge Member

Primarily valley but I did hunt Bandon once and Tahkenitch twice this season.
    Usually I'm up and down the coast but I lost my hunting partner over the summer so a lot of my drive has disappeared. Instead of making trips all over I stuck to the valley. Mainly the Willamette and Fern Ridge a couple times.
    Opener of Summer lake was a bust personally but my son and nephew shot a few. After my first two birds were lost in the reeds I basically stopped shooting. Also tried the new hunt club up by Diamond hill and only seen one bird all day.
    Truthfully, this is the first year since I've started duck hunting that i didn't get an actual daily limit.
    I did get to take a vet out on a river hunt and got him a couple birds but I think this year I had more fun hunting with my kids when they made it.
    I'm probably gonna finish the season on the coast and try a couple spots I haven't hunted yet.

blacktail likes this.
  6. blacktail

Tahkenhitch brings back some memories! That, and Sitcoos.
    I lived in Reedsport for 6 years in the 90’s. That lake was hit or miss back then. When it was on, it was a hoot!

Tystix likes this.
  7. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

It was a terrible season for ducks. I'm not complaining because even in the good years I don't like to shoot that many cause I don't really like to eat them but it was terrible for the number of birds available.

Tystix likes this.
  8. Curt Gibson

Curt Gibson Refuge Member

Waterswatter I just made some chilli with some duck meat and it was pretty tasty. Probably the best way to eat them in my opinion ;)

9. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

Water level at Wickiup was too low for the birds to feed. The flocks that normally stay until ice over. Only stopped for a nights rest then went south. Barren mud doesn't hold birds like years with water over the flats with growth on the bottom. Shot one limit when a few widgeons were passing through. Mostly was just going out to hike around and bird watch for exercise. Quit early and switched to Cougar hunting.