Semi OT dmv address change gun purchase

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by snipe a duck, Nov 11, 2015.

1. snipe a duck

snipe a duck Elite Refuge Member

I recently moved and have changed my address in the dmv system but my DL still has my old address on it. Anyone know if the only way to get a new card issued is to go into the dmv or is there a way to submit a form and pay the fee without going in person.

My friend recently bought a firearm and got grief because his current address was different than what was on his DL.

Planning to buy a firearm myself soon so I was thinking I would have my current address on my DL to avoid any issues.

Anyone heard of address on hunting license being an issue? or how to have that changed? My hunting license would be my proof of firearm safety.

Thanks

2. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I didn't have any problems, they just asked me to bring in a bill with my current address.

3. Humboldt Hunter

Humboldt Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Went through this about a month ago. Your address has to be from a government business. A change of address card from the dmv works but it has to be stamped! The stamp thing is important!

4. Mike R

Mike R Senior Refuge Member

You need a utility bill or car reg or something from an official body with your current address.

If you're buying a long gun, your current HL will be your exemption from the firearms safety certificate requirement. But, a HL is not an expemption for the HSC.

5. lonely goose

lonely goose Senior Refuge Member

Sportsmans didn't accept my change of address card from the DMV that was stamped I think it was just the idiot was being a douchebag....he even told me I'd have to buy a new hunting license before I could purchase a gun.

6. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

For a long gun, you should be good with your CDL (with old address) and 2 forms of current utility bills in your name and with your current address. I made a purchase like that earlier this year. For a handgun, you may need a current addressed CDL, but I'm just guessing.

7. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I bought a handgun last year, just needed a utility bill with current address.

8. nsm1548

nsm1548 New Member

Just went through this last week at guns fishing and other stuff. Address you fill out on the form has to be the same as drivers license. I had to go to the dmv and get the stamped brown card showing I changed my address as well as a bill like PG&E showing name and address.
    The whole thing was a waste of time since I'm in escrow and will be moving in a month.