Senator Tester... sheep in wolf's clothing?

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by sdkidaho, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Frenchy in AK

Frenchy in AK Senior Refuge Member

"Transfer of Federal Public Lands to the State" Has been part of the official MT republican party platform, and the national party platform for years. Just look at some of the talk coming from the Utah delegation. So to say nobody has actually proposed doing anything is false. Its not a very big step to go from transfer of federal lands to the states, and states selling off land. Its happened repeatedly across the west with state lands. Look at Texas. I'm all for more local input, but Land transfer is a "cold dead hands" issue for me. You may feel otherwise.

And as far as not having a hunting license for 6 years. Big whoop. I don't think my dad has purchased a license in the past 6 years, but he's sure did the 5 years prior. Life changes, especially when you have to spend the majority of your time in DC. I'd be shocked if Rosendale has EVER hunted.

wyfarrell likes this.
  2. Frenchy in AK

Frenchy in AK Senior Refuge Member

Sorry, that should have said ...50 years prior.

3. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Refuge Member

You must mean this:

“Federally Managed Public Lands
    The Montana Republican Party supports the U.S. Congress and U.S. President, other public officials and citizens of Montana and the United States to fully exert their efforts and powers to support returning federally managed public lands to the states in order to secure statehood equality and provide for better management of public lands.”

Whether that means transfer of title or just transfer of management is up for interpretation, but assume it means transfer of title (ownership). First, it’s highly debatable whether federal ownership and management has actually been a good thing. Our recent spate of forest fires argues the feds have been poor land managers at best, willfully negligent more likely. Second, it’s still a HUGE leap between transfer of land to the state and sale of that land. MT isn’t TX, and I think our voters value their public lands regardless of who holds the title (Fed or State). Maybe the PILT money going away would be the reason we got a sales tax, maybe we’d find other ways to fill the budget gap.

I don’t really care about when either Jon or Matt last hunted or had a license. Neither has made hunting an issue in the campaign, except for Tester’s dorky mailer with the sunrise/sunset tables. I don’t think Matt was the best candidate the R’s could have picked, and I think Jon will end up winning again with less than 50% of the vote. But, he won’t be getting my vote along the way.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  4. nemont

nemont Elite Refuge Member

From the GOP National Platform. Page 21.

Quote:
    The federal government owns or controls over 640 million acres of land in the United States, most of which is in the West. These are public lands, and the public should have access to them for appropriate activities like hunting, fishing, and recreational shooting. Federal ownership or management of land also places an economic burden on counties and local communities in terms of lost revenue to pay for things such as schools, police, and emergency services. It is absurd to think that all that acreage must remain under the absentee ownership or management of official Washington. Congress shall immediately pass universal legislation providing for a timely and orderly mechanism requiring the federal government to convey certain federally controlled public lands to states.

For the record I am a Republican, I have supported most Republican candidates and most likely will hold my nose and vote for Rosendale because I don't like the National Democratic Party and what it stands for. Having said that, the Montana Republicans couldn't have nominated a worse candidate to beat Tester if they tried. In a state that Trump won by 20%+ it shouldn't even be close yet Tester is leading.

5. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Refuge Member

Yep. I think Fagg would be leading by double digits if he were the candidate.

6. bxcall1

bxcall1 Senior Refuge Member

Think of the BIG picture. Do you really want the likes of shumer and Feinstein ruling the senate, not to mention that wack job woman from Hawaii,

igo4dux75 and jliffrig like this.