September Upland Photo's...

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by Harliduck, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Harliduck

Harliduck Moderator Moderator

I love Ruffed Grouse...and I will honestly say the Blue's taste MUCH better, and you get substantially more meat on the bones. I've served Blue Grouse to many non hunters who absolutely love it. It's also the ONLY meat besides Dove that my wife will eat. Best part of Grouse hunting is the meal after. Now if you have a better recipe than anything I've tried with Spruce Grouse I am all ears. Yuck. Even tried deep frying "nuggets" with the last Spruce I shot and they still tasted off. I now add them to the Roni meat...

Green Duck Truck likes this.
  2. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

Great pics/story. All smiles says it all!

I grew up hunting grouse in Oregon both in the Cascades and the coast range. Very fond memories of putting on the miles in the 50 years old moss covered logging roads. Every year I think I will try my luck and figure out things up here but always chicken out. Glad someone is doing it and doing it well.

Ps good luck up north. I have a feeling this full moon will be bringing the masses to all areas of Canada.

Cheers,

Adam

3. Harliduck

Harliduck Moderator Moderator

Adam...would love to share and get you started...when it comes to Grouse there is so much untouched on our side it would actually be nice to share and then touch base on what your seeing as well. More eyes in the woods the better. The key honestly is finding the covers/hikes that give the most flushes...there are a lot of folks that just drive the roads and Grouse wise up pretty quick on that. As they say, the dumb juvies are all dead on opening day...haha. When I get back from Canada let's do lunch if your interested...

4. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

IMO, they are the finest.

Harliduck likes this.
  5. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

Enjoyed the pics and write-up, Harli. Thanks. Looks like a pretty epic start to the season! :tu

Harliduck likes this.
  6. birdhunter007

birdhunter007 Elite Refuge Member

Great to see your posts on here again! Thanks for sharing.

Harliduck likes this.
  7. SCTC

SCTC Elite Refuge Member

Awesome start to a season, Harli! Let's hope you can keep it rolling in Canada since I'm in on that one, too. :l

Really enjoyed your write-up. Also, the excellent pic's were worth seeing, again.

Now get your stuff packed for the trip of the year. :tu

Harliduck likes this.
  8. huntaholic21

huntaholic21 Senior Refuge Member

Can’t wait to see pics and hear stories from Canada.

Harliduck likes this.
  9. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks Refuge Member

Very nice.. got me excited to hunt our ruffs which starts this Saturday. Good luck and thanks for sharing with us. Glad your son got some birds lifelong grouse hunter now.

Harliduck likes this.