Shocking revelation about mountain lions

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by enzinn, May 7, 2016.

1. enzinn

enzinn Senior Refuge Member

First you eliminate the tool of hunting for management.
    Then expand the suburbs and suburbanites into their habitat.
    Then the suburbanites leave tasty snacks out at night for them (dogs, kitties, goats, sheep, etc.).
    And then comes the shocking revelation - those cute big kitties need to eat. And they are not vegans.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/en...the-santa-cruz-mountains?source=topstoriesrot

2. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I don't see what's "Shocking", cats gotta eat too, but I guess the bunnyhuggers don't realize that. It's the risk you take and the price you pay for living in rural areas and suburbs these days. It's only going to take a couple kids getting killed (tragically and unnecessarily) and maybe they'll be another initiative to place them back on the list of huntable species.

3. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I wouldnt hold my breath.....One could eat Brown's dog and its walker and we would never have a season opened....

4. enzinn

I guess we would have to look to the refreshed Fish and Wildlife Commission for guidance. :rolleyes:
    Even if a law was passed allowing hunting, the hippy dippy Santa Cruzans would probably try and chain themselves to the cats in protest. Which might not be a bad thing actually. :sp

I still remember a sheep rancher in Bonny Doon (in the mountains outside of Santa Cruz) who routinely killed predators that attempted to kill the sheep on his ranch. Mountain lions were skinned and dogs were stacked up like cord wood in the walk-in freezer until the owners could be notified. That type of person no longer resides in Bonny Doon - it is now mostly occupied by wealthy city people who rake the redwoods because they think it is messy and wring their hands over the frequency with which their pet kitties and dogs disappear.

Most of Santa Cruz County is now either zoned a "no-shoot zone" by the County Government or is covered by a State or County Park (which prohibits the discharge of firearms). So even if we were allowed to hunt mountain lions, we would be mostly SOL, unless we did it with a bow, a knife or pea-shooter.

The shocking aspect of all this is that everyone around Santa Cruz is acting surprised at the outcome, which was actually quite predictable. Santa Cruz is truly the moron-nexus of California and always seems to be ahead of the California stupidity curve. If you want a glimpse of the state's future, look no further than Santa Cruz, the County government and the current codes and ordinances. We have terrible traffic, mostly flirt with the top five for most expensive housing in the state and attract homeless drug-addled douchebags and gang-bangers like crap attracts flies, along with contaminated rivers, lakes aquifers and over-drafted groundwater aquifers. Yes, this is the new California dream and we are living squarely in the middle of it.

I can't wait until semi-retirement comes. I would like to live in a small town somewhere in Idaho, Montana or North Dakota, where the only news that is published on mountain lions is the size of the kill by a local citizen.

5. oneshot maybe

oneshot maybe Elite Refuge Member

There is only one way mountain lions will ever become a huntable species in ca, this being if EVERY person who voted for this law were to be killed by a mountain lion. Until that time, any remaining person who supports mountain lions, will simply say that those who were killed should have taken better precautions. I especially like the way that the author of the article states that removing these mountain lions from the ecosystem might upset the balance, what a joke.

6. enzinn

I barked out a laugh when I saw that too. The ecosystem here in the Santa Cruz Mountains was in a much better state in the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's than now. We could hunt mountain lions back then, but we could do a whole lot more than that as it pertained to fishing and hunting. Losing the option to hunt mountain lions was just one of many nicks that bled this area dry of habitat and wildlife management that led to hunting and fishing opportunities. The crowds have pushed in on the lion's habitat and something has got to give. We can't hunt them, so maybe we will just wring our hands and cry about it for awhile.

If you thought that article was funny, check out this article that covers, in a comical way, what happened in Santa Cruz when a mountain lion cruised through the City of Santa Cruz. The journalist and most of the people quoted in the article appear to be completely uninformed morons.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/article/ZZ/20130516/NEWS/130517714

The whole thing is just sad from my perspective.

7. ducslayer

ducslayer Elite Refuge Member

I don't understand ??? What's the big deal ??? Just pass a law that Mountain lions cannot attack livestock , pets or humans ??? :scratch

Phytoplankton likes this.
  8. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

It such simple science. As the population of people grows, so grows the problem with lions. These cats are not about to voluntarily give of their way of life and simply move out of an area, just because people are moving in. Where are they supposed to go? With a population of 38 million people (and growing fast) in this state, I can see why there is a problem. And it ain't going to get any better.

9. George

George Elite Refuge Member

Interesting debates in the comments section..

10. RoyB

RoyB Elite Refuge Member

At least one less idiot liberal and a turd maker.

Winchester 1897 likes this.