Shoot time question

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Jim Dandy, Nov 14, 2017.

1. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

I guess I go to the extreme...I use a gps to tell me what time sunrise is for my exact location.

Just to add, I've been really impressed so far this season on early shooters within ear range, except for this past Sunday, most folks seem to be pretty good, this past Sunday I heard a good distant volley about 10 mins early.

2. J-Duck

J-Duck Elite Refuge Member

wth -30 wth clown

3. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Refuge Member

Years ago, at Sac refuge, my buddy shot about 4 mins early (according to my watch). I gave him a bunch of **** and said, "You'd better hope the warden didn't hear that!". His reasoning was that he wasn't "the first shot" as there were several just before him. Sure enough, about 9:00 am, some guy comes wading out and I'm thinking, how come that guy isn't carrying a gun?? It's Mr. Warden and he asks if we were the guys shooting early that morning. I said, "Not me!'. He then tells me that he was standing in the parking lot and that he could have sworn the shot came from our pond. He proceeded to talk to my buddy fifty yards off. I about laughed my a** off.

I now program my alarm on my phone to chime at shooting time- as listed on my iPhone weather app: sunrise-30 minutes. It keeps me from neurotically checking my watch.

bojingles likes this.
  4. bojingles

bojingles Elite Refuge Member

Did the alarm thing ONCE on a stormy day as wanted to keep my phone dry. Accidentally set it 10-15 minutes early (cant recall, but it was way early).....was extremely, dark. When my alarm went off I had a mallard floating overhead, alarm went off, gun went boom. Fortunately, I missed the bird. Naturally the dark would have signaled to me it was early but given how stormy it was I assumed the light was attributable to all the cloud cover and rain. Got back to the club house and had a bunch of people ask me why in the world I shot so early. It was embarrassing to say the least, particularly since I don't make a habit of shooting early. First and last time using the alarm trick. I know "run" a wrist watch--no need for aimlessly reaching into the coat pocket to grab the phone.

5. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Saturdays will be listed on the shooting times chart so when hunting Weds just split the difference between the next Sat and the last one.

6. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

So did your buddy lie..or man up and take the ticket ?

7. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Refuge Member

I think he stammered a denial. No ticket. It made it all the more funny to retell the story because I actually said, "You'd better hope the game warden didn't hear that."

8. Ducks Bucks&Bulls

Ducks Bucks&Bulls Senior Refuge Member

5 min early or late and the judge will laugh
    case dismissed
    My old college roomy was a fed and he would never right a ticket for x amount of min early or late for that reason

9. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

Morduks says: Shoot early, shoot often.
    Tom B.

10. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

Don't shoot the lead bird, its always a hen.

We can't hardly see birds at shoot time so its pretty much a non issue with me and my older eyes. November and kids that might not get a bunch of shooting, I will call them up a little early. I'm pretty sure where I'm going when I die , global warming isn't a issue and shooting early ain't going to tip the scale one way or the other. Morduks, I will save you a seat.

WaterFoulHunter likes this.