Short Stopping

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by DComeaux, Jul 1, 2018.

1. DComeaux

DComeaux Senior Refuge Member

Interesting comments

2. bird whisperer

bird whisperer Refuge Member

They have sure been stopping somewhere deferent the last several years.

3. Manoduk

Manoduk Senior Refuge Member

Some of us having been warning for many years about the effects of SS in Louisiana. Unfortunately, the people who where hired to help and represent ALL hunters in this state chose to only protect the elites. Now they have their elite “Honey Holes” (baited fields) but even tho they kill more birds than most they are begining to see the effects of the baited fields north. Sadly we will never have the birds we once enjoyed. If anything good about being 70 is that I did witness the great migrations. Continue sending your money to DU the guys up north appreciate it.

Sunklands and Lslu60 like this.
  4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

The ability to plant crops and not have to harvest them, but rather flood and hunt them for the season, means that you have a great food source for the birds, and at private clubs, they may only hunt these areas 2 or 3 times weekly to keep them"fresh" and keep the birds in the area (research Paul's Pond on how to do things right to keep the birds in an area). Once the season is over , most clubs will leave the crops there to imprint the birds to come back to the area, and prevent further migration. There are 3 things that move birds along down the flyway, in my opinion. Lack of food, lack of open water, and heavy hunting pressure, or a combination of all three. Two years ago in the fall, we had huge flocks of mallards up here until late November, early December (remember, I am north of the 53rd parallel). No snow on the ground, a late fall with lots of open water on the high river, and flooded crop fields full of knocked down wheat and barley. It was the first year ever that I hunted until the end of November. Most years, we are frozen out by late October to the first week of November.

Your birds weren't short stopped by DU. They were shortstopped by Mother Nature. The mallards won't move until they have to go, and the big Canada geese will follow the snowline as far as they have to go. I have friends in Illinois whose private clubs didn't see birds until very late in the season, and they had lots of birds around in the mild conditions after the season ended.

If you want to help yourselves, you should be putting pressure on to get rid of the "legal" baiting; aka flooded grain fields, which only favor the elitist few hunters.

ripline likes this.
  5. portahunter

portahunter Elite Refuge Member

One thing I"ve never heard anyone mention in this whole short stopping debate is the fact that a large percentage of the continental Canada goose, white-fronted goose, and snow goose populations winter in the central plains and mid-west states now. Seems the ducks started to short stop us about the same time the geese started wintering further north. Best ice eater around are 20,000+ live geese.

I've been making some out of state trips each season the last several years to the north and have seen some disturbing things in regards to gwt and gadwall. As much complaining as we've been doing in the south about short stopping ducks, it may get a whole lot worse in the next 10-15 years. Unless the food sources are taken away on a landscape scale I don't see traditional migration and wintering patterns becoming re-established. I certainly don't think outlawing the practice of hunting flooded uncut corn, as much as I don't care for it either, would have the impact many people would hope or imagine. Think its but a corner of the big picture.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Rebranger likes this.
  6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Think you're right.

7. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

Instead of stopping flooded grain fields it just needs to be legal for everyone that wants to to set up corn feeders to feed ducks anywhere they find ducks. Do them just like deer.

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I remember Fred putting that on film. I told him the AR and LA folks would be all over it. Never really took off with the AR guys because the ducks came back. Surprised it took over 10 years for someone from LA to dig it up to use. Fred is a friend of mine, but he's no biologist. Next time I talk to him I'll ask if he still has the same opinion.

9. Manoduk

Manoduk Senior Refuge Member

Old Fred was right then and he is still right today(if same opinion). Hard to argue with the obvious. No , I’m not a Biologist. Just an Old Duck Hunter in Northwest Louisiana who has been hunting for over 60 yrs. One thing is a fact, we don’t see the birds we saw 25 yrs ago. I never tell a man what’s best for his State or what the problems may be, but I know what has happened where I live and hunt. Unless you lived and hunted in NW Louisiana in the 50’s 60’s 70’s and 80’s you probably don’t really know what you are talking about. The boys in southern Arkansas might argue if birds came back. Just my opinion.
    I’m not always right, but I think I am, otherwise I wouldn’t express it!

Rebranger likes this.
  10. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

Very few would believe or understand just how good northwest La. duck hunting was. There was hunting as good but there was none better.