Short Stopping

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by DComeaux, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

If we lose manipulated flooding, you'll lose your ability to meet the market for your naturally flooded marsh.

2. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

Let clear up what I was trying to say a little better. I knew that was the big change about that time and I was trying to remark that it was scary to me that prior to that it flew in the face of any typo of law enforcement to be guilty until you can prove innocence .

As for the rest of the article there really was no change.

Mayes

bill cooksey likes this.
  3. DComeaux

DComeaux Senior Refuge Member

So you think they'll leave a flooded, harvested rice field with the chance for specks for my mangy salt marsh?

4. Rick Hall

Pretty sure you know by now that I think you're peeing up a strong wind on feeding if you don't stop flooding of all food sources. IE: those now flooding corn will flood a non ag crop food source, instead. Then if it hasn't already been abolished, those who flood nothing will cry about all manipulated flooding, just as some already do.

bill cooksey likes this.
  5. DComeaux

Anything natural, not corn.

6. Rick Hall

Which begs the question, "What's 'natural'?" (Not to mention assumes the re-writers will agree with whatever you come up with and stop there.) Whole lot of perennials ducks dote on.

7. DComeaux

Exactly. There are a lot of perennials you can find for the area of the country you hunt. This would be what I consider a "habitat", not the "hot crops" of today.

Look, I'm far,far,far from the guy who can make the changes I speak of, and what I'm trying to do is to get people to understand what's going on in this country, and what we as Louisiana hunters have noticed over the years with this decline in migration. When those that are covered in ducks in their corn fields every winter, and the state managers to our north boast on the amount of ducks they're holding on their refuges through the winter, I never doubted resistance to any change or possible solution to this migration issue. (IT'S NOT THEIR PROBLEM) I just wish some the "right people" would drop their bias for a moment and really look at the big picture, unblinded. I truly think the picture is pretty clear.

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I know you think it's clear, and much of it is, but it has nothing to do with flooded corn. Personally, flooded corn makes no difference in my hunting since I don't have any, but I'm in the middle of the region where a fair amount is flooded, and it isn't doing what you think.

Weather and habitat loss are at the core of the trouble in LA. If y'all would acknowledge those changes are more important to the migration, more folks would listen to your arguments about corn. It would sound rational to say, "we can't help the weather, and we sure support every effort to reverse out loss of habitat, but here's a third thing that we believe would make a noticeable difference."

Too many of your folks just go around making claims of being backed by science and the law was changed in '98. Both are, at best, misleading and disingenuous. Most scientists don't agree with your premise AND the law that changed in '98 did nothing to change the issue y'all are up in arms about, so I'm being kind in saying y'all are misleading and disingenuous.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  9. DComeaux

I'm really not concerned about the goings on in 98. My main concern is the holding power of over abundant food sources on major refuges to our north. Couple that with the big private operations doing the same, and there's the recipe. We'll never know unless it tried. We do know through studies however, that we can alter a birds migration pattern with food in a region, and that it contributed to it's shortening, or stopping of their normal migration over time. (Canada goose) This will happen to the ducks.

10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Weather, changed farming and wetland/water mitigation laws in some areas altered the Canada migration.

Under some conditions flooded corn can indeed alter how birds move in an area, but that's no different from other habitat. I know you sincerely believe it's hurting LA, but it isn't, and most outside LA wouldn't care if it did. Obviously some of us sincerely care about LA, but the farther north you go, the less people care.