Short tail mud motor kits

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Easterncanadafowler, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

Are there any decent priced good kits available that a guy could use an economical air cooled motor on.I had a long tail 23 hp go devil years a go and sold it but i've been thinking about another mud motor for skinny water.And i'm handy at making stuff.
    I hardly ever used the long tail wide open and mostly idling into spots where my ob could not get.
    I've got a 1648 mod V jon with ribs on the bottom if that makes a difference.

2. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

Mud Buddy made a kit for a hyper.I converted my MB long tail 23hp to one.
    I run it on a 1648 true flat.

Danny

3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

4. Easterncanadafowler

Thanks i checked them out and have a lot of nice features.Id like to find a kit that i can use a harbour freight motor on and just idle up into the skinny water with .I don't need to go too fast.I had a23 hp go devil and sold it but i remember when i owned it i never really used it much more that idling here and there in the dark and shallow water.

5. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

i would look at a backwater glider kit. It is a long tail, but doesn't drive like one because of the mount. Friend has a 13hp honda on his and he drives it one handed sitting down.

6. Easterncanadafowler

what size boat is your buddy's with the 13 honda on ?Im checking them out

7. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Isn't mud skipper the only kit out there? Coming out with a new belt driven version too.

Also, under powering means you better not get stuck because you won't have the power to get out. Doesn't matter if you usually idle along, if you find yourself having to power through something gearing the motor so that at best it idles will leave to in trouble.

But maybe there isn't a risk, though it would make me wonder why an outboard wouldn't work, but for a lightweight option if this is in addition to an outboard, maybe something like the mud skipper twister lite.

1648, I think mud skippers biggest kit is for up to 27hp for the short tail, which would be decent size for that boat.

8. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I would avoid the thai kits...you really get what you pay for...

X2 on the backwater glider kit. Drives like a dream. I have a harbor freight 670cc on mine.

9. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

1636 Phowler sneak style with their blind (probably 100lbs heavier than a riveted boat) Runs 12-13 with 2 people a dog and not too much of a hunting load. I've not been there but he says it goes thru the shiite really well..

10. Easterncanadafowler

Is that the predator.My 23 go devel longshaft had a vanguard with electric and pull start.I had it around 8 rears ago and it took a lot of effort to drive it.
    We live in the northeast and nowhere near the mud like the south .I just found last year when the river was low or we had some bars to go up over I was thinking hmmmm a shallow water system would be nice.as I said we usually idle the boat to where we are going before light and then after its light me might use the ob to get up on plane in the deeper water but it tricky cus if the water is low there are rocks bars and sticks etc.

We found a new spot last year that held ducks but it was shallow rocky ledge and I kept hitting my of bottom and I have already broken it in the past do id rather not keep hitting it.I tried the motor up on shallow water but it doesn't push the loaded boat that well or pickup water for cooling that well either.