Shotgun advice

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Silentnswift, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Inertia guns (such as your Stoeger and all Benelli shotguns) are easier to clean and maintain due to the simplicity... Gas-operated guns recoil less, and are more difficult to clean and maintain...

Were I to purchase an inertia gun, it would be in the Vinci line... Great pointing weapon, less recoil than the M-2 or SBE-2, and the recoil spring is in the front of the gun (as opposed to the stock) making it even easier to maintain...

If I did not go to the Vinci route, I would take a hard look at the Retay Masai Mara... Less expensive, and per the reviews all the gun of the Benelli line without the "Benelli-click."

As far as chokes, it depends on the gun, the shot size, and the ranges you are shooting... The majority of my shots are from 30-40 yards, and I really like the Light-modified (LM) choke which is the same as the Skeet-2 (SK-2). If I am shooting at closer shots (20-35 yards) I prefer an I.C.. If I am shooting 35-45 yards I tend to go with a modified choke, and switch to a larger shot size...

In most of these newer guns, the extended chokes do very little if anything to improve the pattern, but they are convenient for removal and assertation as to which choke is in the gun. In older guns with shorter choke inserts, the extended chokes (in my experience) actually do improve the pattern (in my old Browning chokes in which the invector is only 1" long, the extended chokes add to the taper and have improved my patterning on a pattern board).

My typical shoot (shooting birds at 25-40 yards), I shoot a LM with #4 steel in the chamber, followed by #3 steel in the magazine... If the vitals are showing #4 steel kills birds well out to 40 yards...

In the wind, I go with a larger shot size due to the wind moving smaller size shot more (i.e. I use #2 steel in the wind).

markd likes this.
  2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Inertia spring

3. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

Another good shotgun to consider that won't break the bank is the Remington V3, positive reviews from avid waterfowlers past few years.

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

All B-guns (Benelli, Beretta, Browning) are not similar as far as action type is concerned. As creeds said, that big black spring on the magazine tube of an inertia gun is the recoil spring. While gas guns cam have a light spring around the mag tube, their primary recoil spring in the buttstock.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I am not following you...

The vast majority of guns (inertia and gas) have the recoil springs in the stock... Beretta and Benelli both make models with the springs in the front, that make them far easier to clean and maintain.

ronaldo and creedsduckman like this.
  6. creedsduckman

Not what I said. I think he is referring to the thick spring in the bolt assembly. That's the inertia spring, the heart of an inertia gun. The A400 is gas and would not have this spring.

ronaldo likes this.
  7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I may have misunderstood both you and jzee. I thought he was referring to the black spring on the mag tube.

Easier to clean than what....a gun without the front spring?
    The Berettas with a light spring on the magazine tube also have a spring in the buttstock, which is the primary recoil spring. Same with some Benelli's (e.g. SBE2) as near as I can tell.

8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

The NEW way of having a action spring around the Mag tube is really a old design as manufactures like Fabarms and Turkish designs
    are being imported into the States . I certainly wish Trump would protect our U.S. Gun companies and put a 100 % tariff on guns not
    inspected / tested BY SAAMI with a more defined class as plastic junk !

9. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Yup, but it seems to me that our own quality started to falter before all these Turkish autoloaders started showing up. Alot of the wood on these cheap Turkish guns looks better than our own pricier stuff.

10. creedsduckman

Neither the SBE or SBEII have a spring on the magazine tube just in the stock. I have never taken a SBE3 apart or shot one for that matter so don't know about it. I believe the M1 & M2 are the same as well but not 100% positive. I know nothing about the Vinci's.