Silouette's for Canada Geese ???

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by BADLARRY250, Feb 12, 2018.

1. wgh3030

wgh3030 New Member

Don and Berggren must be my goose hunting doppelgängers. Windy days I like samll spreads of very lifelike decoys. For me that’s 3 dozen DSDs. But on sunny calm days, I’m all about big spreads of silhouettes. I use 10 dozen Mag Lites on Y-boards. Another 10 dozen Dive Bombs. 5 dozen black and whites. And, for kicks I’ll throw out 6 dozen G&H Mag shells.

2. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

I run DSD's for most of my hunts, but when the fields turn to mud and I cannot drive my trailer out to setup, I break out the silhouettes. I have 5 dozen of the Big Al's and I manage to kill birds over them most every time I hunt them. In fact, I cannot remember ever not killing birds over them in the 5 or 6 years that I have owned them. I run them on probably 3 hunts a year because they pack in so easily on foot. I was just landing birds in them a couple of weeks ago actually on consecutive days. I do not like them on sunny days however. Generally if it is a gray overcast day, they are money.

3. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I had to look up the term dopplegangers...

wgh3030 likes this.
  4. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Glad I wasn’t the only one

5. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Quick hunt this morning,had my shooting been to par,should have been any easy triple at 25 yards.
    Been using silos exclusively for the past 8 seasons,everything easily fits in the back of my Tacoma.Geese react to them no different than full bodies,and no need for a trailer and the costs associated with all of that.
    Keep hearing about shine on them scary birds away,pretty sunny morning this morning,birds came in at angle of first pic,sure dont see no shine,mix of real geese pro series ll and lites .
    You all can have your $1000 a dozen custom decoys,I'll keep killing with my skinny ones.
    :)
    20180216_132319.jpg

20180216_132255.jpg

6. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

I have a bunch of Real Geese Pro II silos along with quite a few tri-stands which allow for deployment of three silhouettes at a time. I also have about twenty-eight of the original Dave Smith honkers and about eighteen of the earliest Dave Smith lessers. It makes me feel ill to say that I would sell these to someone who can pick them up. Health problems are limiting my ability to do the things I love most. I can tell you that the silos are as effective as the full bodies in my opinion. I also have eight Dave Smith sleepers. There are mallard silos too. Several of the Smith sleepers have cracks where the wings join right behind the head. I think this is probably a bit of a weak spot. Believe it or not, the damage happened from dead geese falling on them. I was told by someone at DSD that super glue would fix.

7. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I can relate to the health issues thank God my son does most of the heavy work,but I still manage to set a few decoys.
    I might be interested in buying the DSD sleepers or 4 of them,if you are interested in selling.I had DSD issues before that I had to repair so that isnt a big deal.

8. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

As this season wound down, my S-I-L and I found ourselves hunting the same 500-ish resident geese hanging around the area; we'd seen them, and they had seen us and all our tricks with a small spread of BF FB's and shells. We added a doz Big Al's silo's, and then a doz homemade B&W's, and kept fooling them. Skinnies will be a part of next year's spread for sure; Big Al's were fine, they worked, but I'm looking pretty hard at the Dive Bomb 5 doz for $300...

DrakeStar likes this.
  9. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

We use to run over 11 dozen Outlaws, Sold 1/2 of them for Bigfoots in the late 90's.
    They dont work in the wind. Y boards are slick but a pain, drilling holes is a hassle.
    I love them during a heavy snow and use them in tall grass along reservoirs. Otherwise its shells or FB I would never go back to a straight silo spread.

10. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Some places sillos work really well, other places they are not very effective. If you mixing them in a fillers, go for it.