Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Sit on top kayak blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by JohnBZ, Sep 22, 2018.

1. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I finally got started on building a blind for my jackson cuda 12 kayak. My goals for the build are to allow full access to storage. Utilize the rear tank well as a dog hide/storage area. Build a front frame to serve as a gun rest and decoy storage area.

My kayak has a large center console which allows me easy access to the hull of the kayak. It makes for safe storage of my gun while paddling. The blind is being built from 1/2 emt to stay lightweight. Given the size and application, high strength materials arent necessary.

I started off bending the EMT to follow the contour of the kayak.
    20180922_160315.jpg
    I then cut the front and back pieces and brazed them to complete the bottom frame.
    20180922_211906.jpg

20180922_171358.jpg
    The whole thing is held down by the rod straps. I will also run a lashing strap through the ram bases to keep the blind from taking off while going down the road. Next time I get a chance I will move on to building the rear upper frame for the dog hide. I have an American water spaniel so she will fit in back with tons of room to spare. I'm still throwing around a couple ideas for the front as the center console is presenting a challenge in positioning the gun rest.

stevena198301 likes this.
  2. JohnBZ

Got the rear upper frame bent and temp fitted. It looks high in the picture but it is only 27" My head will just fit under the hoop for the dog hide area when I put the seat back. The rear upright hoop is adjustable. I will be putting a spring clip on the back to hold it in position.
    20180923_164748.jpg
    20180923_165148.jpg

stevena198301 likes this.
  3. JohnBZ

Made some more headway on the blind today. Got the spring clip on the back and used hose clamps to secure the rear hoop. Ended up working great. The co-pilot is Millie the American water spaniel.
    20180927_153220.jpg

I brazed the front supports. I plan on using a bungee cord across the front for the gun rest.

20180927_163149.jpg

20180927_164626.jpg

The blind allows full access to all the storage in the kayak
    20180927_170239.jpg

Next step is burlap and brush. Dont think I'll have it done in time for the wisconsin opener but that's okay.

4. Tystix

Tystix Senior Refuge Member

That's starting to take form nicely.

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Its starting to look like a Dragster.:joker
    Seriously, good looking rig. Thanks for the ongoing report and photos. One question, is wind resistance and boat instability a concern? I’ve had a few different blinds on my jon boat and appreciated that I could drop thee blind when te wind built up. You might want to consider a couple fittings that will let you pull a clevise pin and drop the higher parts of the blind that might get you into trouble in a blow. You could also make the fabric easily dropped and furled and leave the frame in tact.

6. JohnBZ

Thanks ! As far as kayaks go it is pretty stable but I only plan on using it on the shallow no motor marsh areas. The wind is definitely the biggest enemy of a kayak. Paddling sucks with a good breeze. The rear hoop is hinged and only secured from moving by a spring clip on the very back of the bottom frame. All I have to do is pull up on the rear brace and the rear assembly can hinge down. That said I have internally struggled with how high to make the rear and I decided to start high enough to just get my head under because I can always shorten it without having to redo burlap and brush. I also like the idea of being able to conceal myself a little better. Plus if need be I made it adjustable so I can change the angle of the rear at any time during a hunt.

7. JohnBZ

Got some more free time so it was back to work on the kayak. My mother in law came over to help sew up the burlap. I had some messy oak laying around so I just put it inside out. She sewed it to the frame and hemmed the slit in the center. All that's left is some brush and to spray paint the exposed galvanized then I will most likely hunt it on saturday. Water is up alot from the rain and a marsh that was a mud pit should be quite huntable. 20181007_135007.jpg 20181007_140251.jpg

8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Lookin good .....in the Neighbor....hood!:tu

9. JohnBZ

Got some preliminary brush on so I can possibly hunt it tomorrow. Kept it a bit sparse to keep the weight down. I snipped the zip ties after the photo 20181012_161404.jpg 20181012_155133.jpg

10. JohnBZ

See how it goes for the Wisconsin 2nd opener. loading it as a barge for a flooded field hunt with 4 dozen real geese 2 dozen oversize shells 1 dozen goose floaters 1 dozen duck floaters 2 spinners and 4 marsh stools. Field has 50 acres flooded along a currently raging river. Hoping for the best. Wont be going on the river.
    20181012_180708.jpg

MQ likes this.