Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

Skeeter Killin'

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Apr 2, 2019.

1. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Morning Gents -
    My Missus' walked in this morning and says, It's Time!! Now!! time for what??
    Skeeter Killin' Time!! Better hang those tube things out today and get the jump on them nasty critters'! She is right and I followed orders!

[​IMG]

If you aint bought any, then shame on you! This stuff(not Stuff'...) really works! It looks as though the cost went up a little from last year but its $24.95 for two tubes and last for 90 days. THEY WORK! I put up 3 tubes and change out ever 75 days just because..
    WE HATE SKEETERS!!

Me & Maggs.......

2. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

With all the water you've had, that's one mighty smart women you got there. ;) It will be one hell of a year for those damn things. At least the martins will be feed well. :tu

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Na...

"The purple martin is an excellent example of a natural mosquito predator who's mosquito controlling ability has often been grossly exaggerated. Yes, they will and do eat mosquitoes but nowhere near the amount that would be needed to consider them effective at controlling mosquito populations. In a quote taken from the AMCA's page titled frequently asked questions, ornithologist James Hill founder of the Purple Martin Conservation Association (PMCA) writes, "The number of mosquitoes that martins eat is extremely insignificant, and they certainly don't control them. In-depth studies have shown that mosquitoes comprise no more than 0 to 3 percent of the diet of martins". In fact during daylight hours purple martins most often will feed on larger flying insects such as June bugs, moths, bees, butterflies, wasps, and unfortunately dragonflies, another natural mosquito predator. In the hours just before and after sunset is usually when mosquitoes are most active and during this time our friends the martins are usually feeding in the treetops, which puts them way above most mosquito activity. The purple martin is a beautiful bird, but like other natural predators who occasionally consume mosquitoes they probably would rather snag a nice juicy Japanese beetle or some other large bodied flying insect than a scrawny little mosquito."

riverrat47 likes this.
  4. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning Gents -
    We got the jump on them skeeters this year. We aint seen but one and it was a little feller. Yesterday, I got a call from a bud wanting to know how and where we hung them up as he was on the way to get a bunch. I took a pix of one hung and got a surprise.
    Ma Nature upped her game in helpin with the skeeter problem.
    [​IMG]

This feller has got the fast food taken care of. Aint even got to hunt for them.

Me & Maggs........

stevena198301 likes this.
  5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Saw these for sale at my local feed store the other day and thought of you, Mr. Rex. :tu

If they are keeping skeeters away this year, they must be some count. We're loaded down with them from all this rain.

6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Tree frogs are pretty cool. A couple of years ago, I was having a tough time with some sciatica and would get up out of bed and do some walking on the back porch, maybe three or four times a night. Just about every time I was out there, a little bitty tree frog was hanging out. Sometimes on the kitchen window, sometimes on a patio table, sometimes on the wall. I sent my granddaughters a picture and they named it "Jimmy Smuggler". No idea where they came up with that. Anyways, the little feller hung around for several weeks then he was gone. I kinda missed him.

7. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning all -
    Steven - If you got Skeeters and you aint got the tubes that get rid of them, shame on you!
    Me & Maggs took a looksee this morning after the rain and noticed another tree frog sittin' on top of another one of them Skeeter tubes. There is a reason them frogs is there. THEY DRAW DINNER FOR THEM!
    We got the Bottoms' barn lots bush-hogged this week for the 1st time this year. The water was going down good, but this morning I got a "Farmlogs" report that the Bottoms' received 2.04" of rain overnight.. Oh Well, I reckon we needed it.

Dang Stevie - Sorry to hear your lonely and miss your frog. I reckon I could get you a couple but they aint got no names that I know of.

Me & Maggs.......

8. GUNNERX2

Wells, ifn he'd hung around a spell he mighta ate that dang stink bug that flew into my mouth and I chomped on last night. If you think they smell terrible, they taste a whole lot worser.

9. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Whew!!! I cant even imagine how bad that would taste! You do know that their 3rd cousin is that dreaded "kissin' bug" thang that's about 4 times larger from some where else that has invaded the U.S. because of the democrats.....
    Well, that just goes to show you... All God's chill'ens gots problems.. Some are eatin' Stink bugs. That raises another question. What type of drink goes with Stink bugs? Red or white wine, or bourbon or Scotch? Or, Bud Lite or some kind of European Ale - Dark or light???

Me & Maggs.........

10. GUNNERX2

I had a glass of white wine sittin' there so that's what I grabbed after I done spit it out across the room. I took a big gulp and kinda just swished it around like mouthwash to get the taste out 'o my mouth but I sho didn't swaller. Still had some lingerin' aftertaste and squirted a little bit of Rooster Siracha in there to overwhelm the taste and that was pretty much the end of it.