Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

Skeeter Killin'

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Apr 2, 2019.

1. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Morning gents -
    Its that time again! Back to work on the dove field. The last two years have sure been bust. 2 yrs ago, I went with wheat. Just about the same time Mom Nature dumped a bunch of rain every dang time I put wheat down. Last year, I went with sunflowers. That did o.k. and I kept the deer out but then my neighbor, the govt folks, did a project on their property with included ponds and the ground around it and it drew every bird within 20 miles it seemed. For 2 months, their must have been 100 ducks or more flying right over my field morning and evening going to the same place. They would land in the water and head to the bank. The dove and every other bird would have to move over for them. I watched it with the binoculars. There were dove in the area but all were joining the party across the fence. They aint doing that this year, so maybe I got a chance.
    I reckon today is the day for Gly 4 to go down followed by 24-D. In looking at the 14 day forecast, looks like I'll be planting on or around the 15th or so. Sometime that week anyways if it aint too wet. My Missus' just shakes her head and walks away when I start talking about putting it in. Something to do I tell her..

Me & Maggs............

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

A whole lot of folks have had dove field busts the last two years. Worst stretch I've ever experienced.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Good luck with your planting Mr. Rex. Starting mine this weekend or next week, weather permitting. Still haven't decided on millet or buckwheat. The turkey and dove seem to love the millet when I put it out.

4. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Got the field sprayed. I decided to just go strong on the Gly4 and leave out the 2,4-D. Everything I read said, you can mix the two but it could cause a real mess in your sprayer and make it gummy. I have had that before & that is a mess to clean out & I aint real good at cleaning out. I just went with 2 1/2 gallons of Gly4 with 50 gallons of water. That ought to give me a real hard burn down.

Me & Maggs.....

5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Turkeys will wear out the buckwheat when it starts flowering out, bunnies too. Deer will catch up after that. Good luck!

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Got our sunflowers in ahead of this rain. Crossing fingers.

7. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Fellas, Im so impressed with this Skeeter Killin' stuff(not Stuff'...) we been using. All of the neighbors are complaining about lots of Skeeters around. not us... We have kilt them all, for the most part. Last night on the porch, we had 2. What a wonderful thing not to be bothered by them! This Spartan Skeeter Killin' product does the trick.

Me & Maggs.........

8. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Gotta agree with ya. We were a little late to the game but got them put up about three weeks ago and just haven't seen any of the pesky rascals. Ifn they had something for the stink bugs, I'd be walkin' in tall cotton.

9. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

Do they work on gnats? Those danged things are driving everyone nuts...in your eyes, ears, nose and mouth. If they do get around to bitin, they leave nasty red, itchy welts. Can't figure out why God thought to invent those things...along with ticks.