Skeeters' - I hate them little critters!!

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, May 14, 2018.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Somehow those things congregate on Gulf oil rigs at times during the summer, many miles offshore. I always assumed it was the rare summer north wind that blew them out there. They can make fishing the oil rigs rather interesting. I’ve seen the inside of a 30ft white fiberglass boat take on a blackish hue because there were so many in it.

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Noseeums lit me up in the Bahamas once real bad. The next day I had 90 bites on my forearm.

When I was a kid my grandmother lived about 1/2 mile from a NYC sewage treatment facility that was surrounded by marsh. Those mosquitoes were super charged. But I think it gave me some kind of spiderman like immunity to STDs

warrenwaterfowler and widgeon like this.
  3. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

No matter how badly you might wish it so...."southerner" is not a race. :no

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    widgeon and tcc like this.
  4. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Yes they could be bad closer to shore when we were anchored up doing upgrades. Most of the time we were a 1.5-2 hour chopper ride from shore in 5-6000’ of water so there really wasn’t any bugs. However, there was always a few doves and a couple hawks. Why and how they would be that far offshore I have no idea. Most of them would end up dying from starvation and or thirst.

5. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Honestly my time on the south is limited, and I had no idea what a yellow fly is so I can't really compare. But when it comes to black flies I'm not talking about few annoying bugs whizzing around your head or a handful of bites from an evening of fishing or BBQ'ing.

In the extreme northern U.S. and Canada I'm talking about a complete inability to go fishing, BBQ, or just be outdoors without a bug suit. These things swarm so thick you can't brush them aside, and deet or thermacells don't do squat, and their bites itch and swell far worse than any mosquito.

This a pic from Wikipedia...and while this is the extreme, it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about. I encountered something only slightly better on a backpack in Northeastern Canada. It drove us out of the woods a day early (and I'm not one usually bothered by $hi++y conditions). The roof of my tent is still stained with my dog's blood....he would be covered in feeding flies when we brought him in and we would swat them on the canopy when they flew off him after feeding. Absolutely miserable.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    buck_master_2001 likes this.
  6. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

F that.

7. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Hi Guys -
    Anyone reading this thread and wants to get rid of the skeeters around their home and /or area, go back to the 1st page and order some "Spartan mosquito eradicator". They can be ordered in single boxes(2 tubes) for $19.00 per box at "animart.com".

I thought I would let everyone know that there is a cheap way to rid their area of the nasty critters without a lot of fuss or fogging or spraying. I guess I never considered folks jumping on & saying mine is bigger than yours.
    It don't matter, but I wanted to spread the word on something that really works to get rid of the pesky problem. My wife is thrilled with this product! as a matter of fact, she said last night that we need to order the small order(10 boxes - 20 tubes) because the cost will most likely go up with such a great product and she said we don't ever want to be without this stuff.

OK - carry on with ours are bigger than yours!

Me & Maggs............

widgeon likes this.
  8. Montauker

Fishing, hunting, or recreation could never be good enough to deal with that.

9. Montauker

I bought a case, I'll talk about whatever I want. If it don't work I'm coming back here with a flamethrower

widgeon likes this.
  10. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I hope they are paying you for the repeated plugs.